Why won’t my new Samsung home theater system read my USB stick or hard drive?

stephen January 15, 2012

I bought a new Samsung 5.1CH Blu-ray home theater system the other day. The home theater system is not reading my usb stick or external hard drive. Any idea why?

1. Lottie R

I have a Samsung LCD19 Series [4] 400 and it doesn't recognise my external hard drive either. My external hard drive isn't portable, it has a power chord but when I plug my drive into my tv, my tv doesn't recognise it as being there. I tried other USB devices and they come up, but with my external hard drive it just says that there isn't anything connected to my tv.

I tried my hard drive on a friend's tv (which is the same just much bigger) and it was recognised by her tv. My hard drive has both m4v and avi extension movies in it. Not sure what to do; any advice?

• Susendeep Dutta

Format your external HDD to FAT32 one.Also,your TV might have limit on the capacity of drive it can address.Also,while connecting your HDD,you must also connect it to power source as it requires external power source to run.

• Oron

According to the manual, this model will display photos (in JPEG format) and audio tracks (MP3) from the USB port, but there's no mention there of playing videos from this source! You can, however, connect it to a PC and stream the videos from there.

2. Srenid33

I purchased a Samsung TV, Blue Ray and Story Station 3. The Story Station 3 doesn't seem to be compatible with the TV so I suspect that Samsung has a problem with external storage units and they ought to instruct their distributors not to sell extenral storage units on the basis that you will be able to record TV programmes.

3. bunny

Hi I have this problem as well with my samsung HT-C453 system. I have a 1TB external drive with alot of movies on it which i want to connect to the home theatre. The drive was in NTFS and when connected it would show a "root" folder which could not be accessed. I formated an 8 gb usb flash drive to FAT32 and it worked. Movies would show up in the menu when usb input was selected. I formated my external drive to FAT32 and readded my movie library. I have the drive connected but nothing is showing up now. Just a blank screen. Any advice?

Hello, what format are the movies using?  Make sure your external drive is connected to power outlet.  Sometimes the USB ports in this players do not provide enogh juice for an external drive.  These are the specs for your system:

http://www.samsung.com/in/consumer/tv-audio-video/home-theatre/home-theatre-system/HT-C453
      /XTL/index.idx?pagetype=prd_detail&tab=specification

The specs shows USB host.  It should be able to play divx, avi, mp3 and jpeg from USB.  Because you tried using a flashdrive and it worked with some of the files in your external, I would have to say maybe your drive doesn't support external drives over a certain size.  I'll see if I can find anything else. 

Hello, can you post the model of your home theather system?  Are you sure your system is compatible with reading data/files from USB?  Does the system give you a warning like "file not supported" or something along those lines when you connect a flashdrive/external?

With regards to your external drive, it could be that your theather system doesn't support the formatting of the drive.  Almost all time, your external has to be formatted with FAT32.  The same applies to your flashdrive. If you post your model we can help you find out.

• bunny

oops should've replied to you