Why won’t my Samsung Galaxy Tab turn on despite having full battery?

Shannon Truman June 29, 2012

My Samsung Galaxy Tab will not come back after it shut off during a game of scramble with friends. It started lagging and then shut off. Now it will not come back on. What should I do to fix the problem? Any help would be great! Thanks.

1. merikat12

Hold down the power button and touch the screen at the same time. Takes about 30 seconds.

2. ZeeMaree

I tried all of these and they didnt work. I need more options and I really dont want to lose my tablet

3. remo

Wow...that worked. Great tip...thanks dude

4. lauren mcmahon

Thankyou so so much I thought I needed to spend a ton on it but it works wowcha

5. soph

thankyou so much!! got mine working too holding volume and on button!

6. emily ault

My galaxy tablet 2 (Samsung) will not turn on. I just got it yesterday, and it froze TWICE and then it WOULDNT CHARGE! I let it charge overnight, and in the morning I got up and went to go get on it, but it wouldn't turn on. Even when I hold the power button for 30 seconds. I want to know how to fix it. I'm not joking. I really want to use it. I JUST GOT THE THING!!!!!!!

7. kristen

Just got the thing today, and it pulled this crap. Thank you for tip - you saved Christmas!

8. Val

It really worked...who would have ever thought of that....I glad someone did...saved my Christmas!!

9. ceddy

i have to agree with gar holding power an volume down works

10. Amanda

Okay.. so I just bought mine yesterday.. And at first, when it didn't turn on, I did as it instructed here in the forum and it worked. But then today.. I was using it, and I went to go do something, and the tablet put itself to sleep. And when I returned, I tried to use it again, and it wasn't working. So I tried holding the power button. When that didn't work I did the power button and the volume. THEN I tried plugging it in to the computer, and the device won't install into my computer. So basically, I Don't know what to do now. I'm going to leave it alone for a few hours and try again, but this is ridiculous. I bought it yesterday T___T

11. ramon

i turned off the tablet when i turned it on the lights just turn on but the screen never comes up

12. aldo

dude i had the same problem and i did the power and volume down button and it worked, my question is why did this happen to my tablet, i mean it wouldn't turn on and its new. is it normal or what

• ben

omg genuis thanks

13. Saheed

I have the same issue with my galaxy tablet. I have used all the approach mentioned to correct the issue, but all end in futility. Please help with another appoach to correct this issue.

14. ck1sa

Thanx you guys, you saved me a trip to the techs... Very useful and I will surely come back here for help:-)

15. Carla

Ohhhhhh my God!!!!!!!!!...I cant believe I came across your answer!!!!!!...I have been a sad girl for the last two nights!!!!!!!!....TY for the info!!...I'm sure the ones who know what buttons to push to create magic already knew this trick!!!!..BUT I didnt and now I'm dancing around the room!!!!! :)

16. BigDaddy64

Thank you for this post, got me out of a bind:-)

17. sarah

try to holdthe power button for more than 10 sec it will turn on :)

18. rachelle

Wow very amazing!! My tablet did that to me just now n i was going bazerk! Thanks sooo much my tablet powered back on!

19. afeek

when i do the 10second method suddenly a download think appeared.... am i on the right path???

20. derekius hawkins

My Samsung galaxy tab 10.1 wont turn back on..

21. retronoodles

YES it does work. just dont have it plugged into the computer! I was getting worried for a second!

Ha14 you are the man, thanks for the advise

23. m

Thanks! IT'S BA-ACK.

24. Paul

Thanks to you ha14! Made my day getting my tab to turn back on!

25. Sam

thanks this worked straight away i was really worried as only had it a month x

26. arvie

thank you so much for your help...i wasnt able to sleep last night when my tablet doest on...i just bought it and thank you very very much...u just dont know how happy i am...thank you

27. Gail100

I have only had my Samsung Galaxy 3 for less than two months. It won't come on and tried to power up with power tab and volume tab as suggested. NO go. We know the battery has power and even tried it while attached with power cord. We will not have access to our computer for several days. Any other ideas? Oh, we are not close to a dealer.

28. Zoltan Toth

Thanks ha14 Galaxy Tab 10.4 works now.
    Did pressed and hold the power button 10 sec ?
    Than pressed and held both power and volume down buttons for 10 seconds, then released vol. down button while were holding down power button for another 10 seconds, before released.
    Rebooted and started.

• DeeDew

thanks for all this info, I had a new tablet and thought it would have to go back. Thankfully this option works a treat......

29. jared

I was watching Netflix and it froeze so I waited and the So the screen went blank and won't turn back on

30. Dan

I just did what ha14 said, it went to a screen that says "downloading do not turn off target"

Than I realized I have nothing to plug it into a computer, so is this screen correct? I'll have to get a plug for the computer.

31. Lady Dee

Thank you so much, I almost had a panic attack, the tablet was not mines.

32. Reymark Cuenca

thank you so much,..

33. Adam Cash

my galaxy tab is the firs one and it did not work with it

34. Vinod

I have Galaxy Tab 2 GT-P3100 & i installed CWM recovery 5.5.4 & after that it does not boot, it automaticaly boots till the samsung logo and it again boots, i tried all the forums & could not find any solution.

I can go to the the download mode & even i can go to the recovery mode but iam not able to go to the main screen.

please help.

35. Mostafa Hesham

Thanks Ha14 i can't belive what happen thanks

36. ibrahim

my galaxy tab 7 not opening when i am press power on,,, also nothing appear when pressing down volume button and power at the same moment,,,, i was tiered to install (PIT & PDA) via odin 3 after that didn't work at all,,,,,,,,,,, please help me i will lose my tab

37. miamibabeegirl

Wow ha14...ur a genious!!! Thanks

38. kari

i was so upset that i was going to have to send my tablet for repairs thank you ha14 for all of your help it worked perfect

39. lei

pls..help me... when i charging my samsung galaxy tablet it is automatic turn off/shut down.. pls answer me,what can i do.. thank you..

40. dula de souza

My Samsung Galaxy Tab will not come back after it shut off during a game of scramble with friends. It started lagging and then shut off. Now it will not come back on. What should I do to fix the problem? Any help would be great! Thank

41. Flamur Balaj

I have galaxy ace and I haved SGS2-v8 install, it work very good but I have install and Simplicity_v1_by_Domnic79 but now i cant restart phone with no one mode plese help me

42. Freddy

I Have This Issue! Can't Work Using All The Method.

• Mz. Kane

Freddie hold both bottons down at the same time then count to ten and it should pop on mine did.

43. travis

You Guys Rock! I was losing it.
    Just held the button down ten seeconds.
    Works great.

44. rosario

I have just bought a Samgung Galazy 10.1. tablet. Connection with WiFi has been established. However, the next page says "Can't establish a reliable connection to the server". ... If problem continues call Customer Care (=£1.57 a minute, thanks).
    I have a gmail account but the Tablet doesn ot let me go into it. Please help.

45. Bobette

You may need to fluff around a bit with the buttons, took two tries for me to do it then sat on SAMSUNG screen forever.

Learn to be patient young ones.

PS. It happened when I had my tablet in the sun for a while (overheat)

46. Andrew

My Tab won't progress past the 'Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1' splash screen. If I hold down the power button for 10 secs this screen disappears, but then it comes back again. If I hold down the power button and volume buttons together the splash screen disappears and does not come back. Which ever way I can't boot past this screen. Does anyone have a similar experience?

• Kannon Y

Hello Andrew - a little further up in this thread, there's additional instructions for dealing with this particular kind of boot issue. So far we've identified at least two methods for resetting your device.

Bajen, a bit further up the thread, used a slightly different method than what I outlined:

1. Plug into PC
      2. Hold power and home buttons for 20-30 seconds.
      3. Battery charging icon appears on the screen.

If that doesn't work, check out some of our other solutions. A lot of people reported success using these methods. Good luck!

• Aaron

I've the same problem with mine and none of the other scenarios help. I'm stuck at the downloading screen after a crash while playing a game. I can get to the menu that has the downloading option and the restore option however when i move over to the restore option with the left volume key and press the right volume key to select the icon it just keeps flashing. The only option that it will left me choose is downloading and once i get there i'm stuck.

I've let the battery run dead several times.

I've plugged it into a pc

None of this works.

It's still under warranty but i was hoping i wouldn't have to send it back.

• Michelle

Thank you it worked!

• Irving

How could I able to do this if galaxy tab 2 7.0 doesn't have home button?.. any solution for tab 2 7.0?

47. Cindy

Thank you so much this fixed my issue!!!

48. Tony

This really worked, Thanx ha14 ;-)

49. wayne_nellie@hotmail.com

I have a bought a galaxy tab 2 few days back but now it wont start i have tried all possible ways like holding the power button longer different charger, it has got very frustrating, i need some immidiate solution, can nyone assist, or may be email me

• Altijdzwart

Connect the tablet to the power unit.
      Press both home button AND volume down button
      Release volume button after 5 sec.
      Wait agan 5 sec. then release home button.
      the battery indicator should appear.

50. Sine

Thanx so so much guys for this...l wudnt have knwn wht to do...was so so stressed...thank you

51. jackie

Thank you, thank you, thank you, it worked. I was almost in tears because the tab would not start. It's not that old and I thought it was done for. With your advise it's working just like it should. Didn't need to plug in to pc, just held the the power and volume buttons as advised and the tab came on. You've made my day.

• Mz. Kane

This made my day as well. I wasn't too worried because I knew that I could count on google, but if nothing then I would have been freaking out. LOL

52. CD23

This really worked THANK ha14

Press and hold both power and volume down buttons for 10 seconds, then release vol. down button while holding down power button for another 10 seconds, before releasing

53. bajen

just fixed the same issue.

while plugged into the pc, hold the power button down AND the home button on the screen. hold it for about 20-30 seconds, and the battery icon (charging) will appear on screen.

hope it helped. i thought to try this method with my iPod before and good thing it worked the same for me.

goodluck to you. ;)

• Optimus

I did the that method with the power button and the home button at the same time and instade of the battery icon, an android system covery is appearing where i must chose to reboot the system, or to apply update from sdcard or to wipe etc. and the last one is about testing something.i try to reboot: it won't help. other ones i'm afraid to risk.

And with the method of volume and power botton the battery icon appears after what it's shutting down again and it goes in circle. If anyone can, please help.

54. jayanth

guys pls help me out i tried by holding the power button fr 10 seconds bt it dint wrk its just showing samsung galaxy tab 10.1 n doesnt come after dat pls do help meee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111

• qwerty

be resetting the tablet, will it wipe all the pictures and anything else i have in my unit.

This is a very common problem. It's 99% of the time fixable using the method outlined by ha14: a battery pull or hard reset. Unfortunately, Samsung didn't design the Tab with ease of repair in mind. You may need to let the battery discharge fully or perform a hard reset while connected to your PC (as ha14 mentioned); simply connect your Tab to your PC and hold the power button or hold the power button and then connect to your PC.

They discuss some of the various fix methods in this thread.

The symptoms you describe appear to be related to a system overheat - CPUs generally begin lagging when overheating because they perform less efficiently at higher temperatures. It's also problematic that they generally have no air flow (they're passively cooled) and very close to both the battery and WiFi elements, which magnifies the issue.

Although there is a possibility that the CPU is damaged, it is HIGHLY unlikely. Most computers automatically shut down or suspend when overheating. Your device may be stuck in suspend mode, which means it's still using the battery. Simply by leaving the device alone, it should drain the battery down to nothing, thus causing a power-off reset - returning the device to normal.

Pulling the battery may not be an option:

Unfortunately, sometimes manufacturers make their devices' battery inaccessible through conventional means (such as a slide panel or screwed in plate). The Samsung Galaxy Tab appears to also be in this category having a variety of barriers to dis-assembly, such as the dread "tri-wing" screws (the rarest of screw types). They do this for warranty purposes, but it's endlessly irritating.

So to recap, try the following actions:

(1) Connect to PC and hold power button for several seconds. Or hold power button and then connect to PC. If that fails, try:

(2) Leaving it alone for several days until the battery dies.

If these steps fail, you may need to return the device, if it's still under warranty.

• jayanth

thank you fr d reply

• andjela

can u help me? i was downloading applications via google play, and i had my memory full. I don't know if it's related but my galaxy ace is TURNING ON and OFF BY HIMSELF. I tried ha14's method and your's put it's going in circle turn on-turn off. I reached to see the battery icon but nothing, it turns off again. Anywhay, I CAN'T SEE MY TAB anymore :/

• Rahil

Really thanks bro I was feeling very bad when my father know that I have make my tab is impared but it is nowThanks bro U rock

• Laura

My galaxy tab wouldn t turn on not even charge the battery. I have tried the hard reset, didn t work either. In a forum from mexico (I live in Argentina) they said to push the power button for 5-7 secs and then touch the screen. It started perfectly. I am worried that it could mean that the tablet is damaged. although I see is a very common problem

• james

Kannon thank you so much for your help. I had tried the hard reset as decribed above but it was not working. Then I tried holding in the power button while plugging it into my pc and it worked like a charm. Many thanks

press and hold the power button 10 sec ?

Press and hold both power and volume down buttons for 10 seconds, then release vol. down button while holding down power button for another 10 seconds, before releasing.

plug to pc and wait to be recognized?

take out the battery so that samsung fully discharge so this should help reset replug the battery.

• Amy Koeppe

Oh thank you!!! I wasn't able to get my tablet to turn on I was very disappointed but I used your thread and it worked with the volume and power key! thanks again!!

• Gar

Hi, I just had the same problem as Amy Koeppe with my Galaxy 10.1 WiFi. Thought I was in big trouble until I saw your trick of holding down the Power and VolumeDown button for 10 seconds and then releasing the volume down button and holding down the power button. That worked a treat. Thanks you

• Kristin

Omg, you're a genius! You deserve an award! ;)

• Mostafa Hesham

my samsung galaxy tab doesn't work untill i used this trick
      thanks thanks thanks
      :) :) :) :D :D :D

• AmirX1000

Thx BRO, I had the same problem :D

• Adam Cash

it did not work with me

• Coccat328

OMG, thank you, thought it was broken. My tab is just over one year and the warranty just ran out one week ago. This worked and it came back on

• Max

Worked for me to. Thanks a bunch!

• Max

Worked for me as well. Thanks a bunch!

• islandperson99

thank you. that did the trick for me as well! i thought my tab was broken.

• Zian

Thank you, ha14!

When the screen didn't show anything after I switched it on, I thought my tab was broken. It's saved! Thank you! This was what I did:

I pressed and held both power button and volume button for 10 seconds, then I released volume button while holding power button for another 10 seconds. Then the screen showed battery charging. Then I pressed the power button to switch the tab on.

• Jamie

thanks Zian so much! I tried everything they said and nothing would help! i tried what u did and it worked like a charm~~!!!!! thanks so much!!!!!!!

• kit

The volume down worked for me. Thank you so much. I thought I lost my tab.

• thorilyn

it really work! thanks a lot .:)

• viv

Im glad I came onto this site,I've only had my galaxy tablet for a week and it wouldn't switch on,thought it hadn't charged properly,but it had,thanks for the tip and if it happens again then I know what to do.

• Tasha

Wow that really worked....thanks a lot!!

• April

Thank you!!! :)

• Mutiat Atobajeun

amazing, the trick works, thank u so much!!!

• luckygal

thnx a lot, it wrkd!

• ms norway

thank you!! i had the same problem and i followed your instruction and .... VOILA!!!!... its working!!

thanks alot!

• hirschsprungsmom

YOU ARE THE BEST!!! THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!

• Beny

Omg thank u very much for this! I was getting ready to return it to the store since I bought it less than 2 weeks ago..im glad I saw this post thanks again. :)

• Shortey

@ha14. I really appreciate this little trick as I was starting to get frustrated!! U'r a lifesaver for MANY of us!!! :-)

• ye ye

OMG ofcourse you are a genius..... THANK YOU SOOO MUCH... !!!!!!!!!!!

• Jaja Yus

OMG luckily I know how to use "Google" and found your tips in here. Lol haha.

• Rochelle

Thank you so much! I was so worried about it and thought it broke. Thank you :)

• LISA

Thank you !!!!!!!..omg I've been trying for over an hour to get it working!!!! Thank you so much.... you are one smart guy!

• LISA

WOW!.....You are a life saver! Thank you! I've tried for over an hour for f#@ck sakes.....to no avail.....xo

• jenyvee

thank u so much..i had the same prob and it worked! ur so cool