Why won’t my Samsung Galaxy Tab slide to unlock?
Question by Mina Roohi /

My Samsung Galaxy Tab (GT-P1000N) does not work when I try to slide the lock to open it. I think there is a touch screen problem because when I hold the power button the ‘Phone Options’ window will appear to choose the 4 options like power off, but I’m not sure of that.
The current OS on my tab is Android 2.2 .

• Kannon Y

Tough question. You’ve probably already dealt with this issue by now, through restarting the tab, but in case you haven’t, my best guess is that it’s a touchscreen bug native to Android 2.1-2.2 (and potentially other OSes). As you’ve learned, this is a particularly nasty issue, since it prevents you from using your device. It’s also hard to fix because, on a Tab, which doesn’t have a battery pull method, restarting requires that you run the battery down (which is unacceptable).

Anyway, I’ve read about (and experienced) a bug that effected touchscreen unlock. The device is fooled into thinking that you’ve activated multitouch, when you have not. It’s correctable by placing two fingers on the screen and holding it there for a few seconds. After this step, try unlocking the device normally.

Yahoo Answers believes that malware causes this, which is also a strong possibility, but I’ve never heard of this happening before. They suggest a battery pull (you would have to run the battery down).

Good luck!

Try holding the power and volume up button together.It will try to factory reset your tablet.