Why does my Samsung Galaxy S3 say storage is low even when I have 10GB free?

February 20, 2014

I’ve uninstalled a majority of the apps and all games on my Samsung Galaxy S3, but I’m still getting a message that storage space is running low. I’ve cleared the cache, cleared RAM, have no apps listed as launching by default. When I go to Settings > More > Storage shows a huge 10.8GB of used space and 17.19 cached data. What’s left to do? I have a microSDHC card to install, but I’ll like to figure this out before I add the card.

1. prasad

Problem with Android is you can install only in internal storage!

• Howard B

App2SD fixes that.

2. Tom S

It casts about $1.50 but does not require root https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.irexsoft.App2sd
    One Click App2SD I'm using it on a Galaxy 2 tab, running 4.2.2
    Works for me

3. Mario

there is thumbnail folder in DCIM if you don't delete that they stuck there and takes space, my friend had 9 gb of that and phone wasn't show it as space using. download file explorer (like ez file explorer) check show hidden folders and just delete it :)

The issue with newer Android systems is that if the internal storage falls at or below 10% storage space left, you will get the low storage space warning. Use a file browser/explorer app to find old app folders and files as well as files you don't want anymore, and then delete them. Also, delete any files in the lost.dir folder, especially in internal storage. Look into your internet browser folders for downloaded content and move them to your external SD card or delete them. Make sure the pictures taken from your camera is set to save onto your external SD card, and move any pictures and videos from internal to external storage. You could try SD Maid from the Play Store or here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1013063. Be careful with what you delete, and root access is not necessary, but it will find a bunch of stuff that you could possibly delete.

The issue you will find with trying to use the external SD card to move apps to is that you will not be able to unless you have root access. After rooting your phone, you need to create two primary partitions on your external SD card and use an app like APP2SD or Link2SD to move the apps to your SD card. You should also get and use GL2SD to move game data files and folders to your SD card (root required).