Why won’t my Samsung Galaxy Y connect to my home wireless network?
Question by Rita Gamito /

Until 2 days ago I could use the Wi-Fi connection on my Samsung Galaxy Y easily. Now, I connect my Wi-Fi at home but whenever I try to get access to my email and Google etc, I get a message that says “Not connected”.

The weird thing is that the Wi-Fi is connected, and my husband doesn’t have this problem with the same Wi-Fi connection and a phone similar to mine! I don’t have this problem with my Wi-Fi connection at work. So, how do I fix it?

• Jenny

Hi, I got a Samsung Galaxy Ace and, just like yours, mine WOULDN’T. Now I put that in captitals since I took it into the shop I’d got it from and the man said: “Delete all the BT Wifi off your wifi list beause it tries to connect to the stupid BT Wifi before trying yours.” So he did it (deleted them all) and for the rest of the time it worked perfectly because now my Skype can cnnecct on my phone whereas before it said noone was online so i checked on my computer (on skpye) and almost everyone on my contact list was online. so just deleet all the bt wifi if you have any on your list it worked with mine galaxy ace but i may not work with yours but probably will because they’re both samsung. now i can’t tell you HOW t delete them (so sorry) because i have no isea why so please, in the other comments, answer my question of: How’d you delete wifi networks of your samsung galaxy ace. Cheers (sorry it was so long) Jenny.xxxx

• Jan

After new update galaxy y, wireless connection drops out every 2-10 minutes. Power save is off.

I gave phone back to shop and they gave me another one, with same software and same problem. Problem is in Update from SAMSUNG.

For Samsung Galaxy series mobile phones open your keypad and type *#*#526#*#*, wait for some time until you see ‘process was successful’ on the screen.

check in settings if you have now wifi? sleep policy then turn it to never

if does not work then try to update firmware or consider a soft reset and in extreme hard reset (do a backup first of files).

If both phones are trying to connect to the same Wi-fi at same time,then this error also might show up.As according to Tim’s suggestions,you can delete the Wi-fi settings by long pressing on the name of the Wi-fi connection which will ask you to Forget or Cancel.Tap on Forget to delete the settings and then connect to Wi-fi.

• Harish Jonnalagadda

It should work if nothing changed in terms of the Wi-Fi connection itself. Try resetting the router and checking.

• Jean-Francois Messier

I could see different reasons for such kind of problem. Your router might have been configured to a restricted number of MAC addresses, which would not include your device. Another thing I can see is that the connection types supported by the router might have been changed. This could occur, if for example, someone changed the config about QoS (Quality of Service) feature, or changed the type of connection (b/g/n or some or all of the above). Have you moved the router from its location ? If no configuration has changed, you may want to erase the known access point, rescan and re-enter the password if your wireless is (hopefully) password protected with (hopefully) WPA2.

• nada

I tried all what you said but I couldn’t find the network!! it shows out of rang ??? what can I do …. please replay me

• Jean-Francois Messier

If it says out of range, it could either be because you cannot see it at all, or because the router has been reconfigured since the last time your device saw/used this network. I understand that if you connect once to a wfi network, there are some internal ids of the network that are stored internally, and if the router is reconfigured, those may change. Deleting and re-scanning the network from your device usually fixes it. Do you see other networks around ? If you change (temporarily) the network access point, does this make a difference ?

• Jean-Francois Messier

• Ahmed Khalil

check the type of security in your network as some types of encryption not supported in this phone

• Naveen Kumar

check if u have changed the wifi secure password…… if changed it will not connect

• Jim Chambers

Android systems are very vulnerable to viruses and malware. I hope this isn’t the cause of your problem. Follow Tim’s advice to see it you get reconnected.

• Tim Brookes

Rita,

I apologise for not being able to give you detailed instructions, I do not have the same phone as you nor do I have another Samsung phone. However, I would like to suggest that you make your phone “forget” your wireless network and all settings associated with it. I’m not sure where you do this, on my iPhone I go to the Settings > Wi-Fi menu, select the network and tap “forget this network”. This then forces me to reconnect, enter the network password again, and I find it usually solves connection issues such as the one you’ve described.

After a quick Google search, the option for Samsung devices appears to be Settings > Wi-Fi > Tap the network you’re having trouble with > Tap “Forget”. Then reconnect, enter your network’s password again and hope for the best. 

It might also be worth restarting the network hardware (router) if you have not done so already.

Tim