Why are points not registered when I log into MakeUseOf via Chrome?

Amanda Nagle-Chicoine February 3, 2013

I had this problem a couple of weeks ago and two people said it happens when you log in through Google Chrome. I am on this page and make lots of comments, but do I need to start coming to this page from Internet Explorer or what?

I enjoy the articles anyway but I’m missing an awful lot of points by now. Don’t a lot of other people come to this site through a link about an article they saw in GMail? So they are probably using Chrome, too. Is there no way to use Chrome and still have my log ins show up?

1. Nicolas De Smyter

I don't think you have to blame Chrome. I have no problem even if I always use Chrome (and Chrome for Android). I don't recommend IE, then you will have more problems besides the points you are missing. The points will be the least of your worries then.

Check for other external software or plugins that can cause the problem

2. Thegreatvinayagam

Me too facing the same issue .

3. Joey Kilian

Never had that problem (yet). Just don't ever, ever switch to IE, do it only as a last resort.

4. Ahmed Musani

MakeUseOf recently changed the points policy. here is the link: http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/rewards-update-like-comments-earn-points-for-great-comments/

5. muotechguy

Nothing to do with Chrome, and personally I'd suggest you never touch IE for any reason.

More likely is that you're running some *plugins* that break the internet - AdBlock Plus, NoScript, Ghostery, DoNotTrack - or any other so called "privacy" plugins which prevent third party systems and cookies from working. You'll need to disable all of these.

This may also be done by a system-wide firewall app - we've heard of issues with AVIRA and NORTON, but I've never tried with those.

You've also mentioned school, so its possible your school network is blocking the relevant bits; you'd need to try at home too, then ask your school network admin to sort that out as it's nothing I can help with from here.

• Mac Witty

Must give a "like" to: "...and personally I’d suggest you never touch IE for any reason."

6. Joseph Videtto

Hey - what about points for questions that help a lot of people and have high view counts ? I don't know for sure, but I think I ask some questions that garner lots of interest and help others in addition to myself, but because I'm not a good answerer yet (or maybe because I'm using Chrome), I haven't had a point in many months : (

How about giving the ability to "Like" a question if someone reads it and it either solves one of their problems, or teaches them something new that they feel will come in handy for them in the future : )

• Jan Fritsch

I think the flaw with "liking" a question simply is that the question doesn't solve the problem - one or more of the answers do. Therefor the person giving the answer should be rewarded not the person having the question in the first place.

There are other ways to make points without providing answers like spreading the 'word' via the social networks buttons or quality comments to articles.

• Joseph Videtto

Well - I admit I used this post for a related, but self-serving request. However, to your good point about 'good questions' not solving a problem, that may be true. But...in terms of asking questions that solve problems for which people had the question, but couldn't articulate it clearly and in a way to receive their answer, well - I see a lot of value in that. Like the old saying 'it takes 2 to tango', it takes a good 'question-answer' pair to 1.) articulate the relevance of the question, and why it may be of interest and importance to the MUO community in general, and 2.) an indication of the value of the question answer pair might be the number of views it gets. For example, I learn an ENORMOUS amount about technology by reading questions, and based on the question, deciding if I want to look at the answers. For questions that are vague, poorly worded, or so narrow and specific to a user's configuration, I am unlikely to view the answers. But questions that invite a sense of 'hey, that would be good to know' increase my fund of useful technical information - allowing me to be more effective technically, more personally productive, and overall more technically knowledgeable. In a sense, a good question-answer pair includes everything a good MUO article does - 1.) it invites the reader to consider why this technology or web service (the 'question' part of the q-a pair) fills an important need of interest to many MUO community members, and 2.) it goes on to explain exactly how it does this (the answer part of the q-a pair). To be truly useful and reach the highest number of MUO community members that would benefit from the information, it is the q-a pair that is important, not only the answers. Just my 50 cents...Thanks for sharing your opinion and giving me the chance to publicly respond : )

• Amanda Nagle-Chicoine

My question had more to do with the fact that I am not being logged in than how many points I am getting- That was mentioned more because of the fact that I interact and like this site because I learn lots of interesting things I didn't know or had not thought of. I also wanted to know if this was a wide-spread issue since two people had mentioned a problem logging in through Google (That is where I am most of the time). I didn't want to have to start getting on a different browser to access this site.

7. Manuel Guillermo López Buenfil

Recently (December 17, 2012), MakeUseOf changed its points policy.
    Now, you get points only if your comments are 'liked'.
    Check this page for more information:
    http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/rewards-update-like-comments-earn-points-for-great-comments/

• Amanda Nagle-Chicoine

Please read my comment below- this is something I wanted to find out because of the logging in issue- not how many points I get- there is lots of benefit to me just reading all the interesting ideas and info so although it is great they award points, it isn't the issue. However I do thank you for your reply and will check out the link. Thanks!

8. salim benhouhou

clean your cache and sessions and you it should be fine to go .

9. Mac Witty

Clean the cache - it has worked for some of us

A guide if you do not know how to do it http://www.wikihow.com/Clear-Your-Browser's-Cache

• Amanda Nagle-Chicoine

I appreciate your suggestion but that is something I would hope most people know to do regularly anyway. I am in school so lots of researching and writing papers- 2 computers plus a pad 20 hours out of the day. My browser's cache has been cleared every few days for years now.

That is however a great suggestion for those who don't know to get rid of cookies, etc. that stay in their temporary files and slow down their computer because it definitely will- Thanks!