Can I safely uninstall Windows Media Player?

Lisa Santika Onggrid September 20, 2012

Between Daum Potplayer and Foobar2000, I don’t think I need another media player sitting by.

Can I uninstall it? I’m afraid to do so for the time being because someone said that it can break several Windows programs when I uninstall. If someone ever do this, please tell me your experience too!

Thank you!

1. Mikeoaklawn

heres a easy way to keep it out of the way and still have it available to programs that might need it. go to start, programs, then up to the top to set programs access and defaults, open up the dropdown window under custom and uncheck the boxes next to allow access to this program. it will still be there for the programs that might need it but it wont show up on any of your program lists or quicklaunch.

2. Casey

I have noticed that games that use certain components don't work if WMP is removed. I believe games that use XNA will not work with WMP.

if you associate media format with your favorite media player then windows media player will not interfere.

Right click of any Taskbar icon and use s "Unpin this program from the task bar" to remove windows media player icon.

4. GrrGrrr

Go with what Bruce suggested.
    else u may just let it sit there, no harm.

• Lisa Santika Onggrid

Haha, yes, no harm. It's just my pet peeve, seeing an unused program sitting idly on the hard drive.
      I appreciate everyone's input, though, and I decide not to remove it forcibly. I'll go with Bruce's advice.

5. DalSan Mack

Bruce's suggestion is the safest way to disable Windows Media Player. Should the off chance that you need to get it back, it's right there to get back using the same method.

• Lisa Santika Onggrid

Investigating several other methods, I agree it's the best. Thank you.

Open Control Panel and click the link for 'Turn Windows features on or off'. In the Windows Features dialog, expand the 'Media Features' and deselect 'Windows Media Player'. When this is deselected here, it doesn't matter if there are patches that come through Windows Update. They won't be installed anyway since the component is removed. It also will leave Windows Media Center untouched if your edition of Win7 supports it whereas some other methods may rip out parts that are needed for Media Center to operate correctly. Also note that other third party applications may use components of WMP and may be adversely affected by its removal, but it tends to be fairly rare.

• Lisa Santika Onggrid

Thank you Bruce. It's much better if I can get a list on what 3rd party application with dependencies to WMP. Saves me much time and trouble if something I use is listed.

7. Shayne Selwonk

check this page this person writes about how she did it and it has not affected her computer at all. http://windows7forums.com/windows-7-discussion/57135-yes-you-can-uninstall-windows-media-player-replace-player-your-choice.html

• Lisa Santika Onggrid

Good link. Now I think I may just disable it rather than removing it completely. This is my main machine afterall, and the last thing I want is creating trouble. I'll try her method with another machine, though. Thank you!

8. Shayne Selwonk

this is how to uninstall windows media player
    Method 1: Uninstall Windows Media Player in safe mode

Start the computer in safe mode. To do this, follow these steps:
    Restart the computer.
    Press F8 while the computer is restarting.
    Click Safe Mode, and the press ENTER.
    Click Start, click Run, type appwiz.cpl, and then click OK.
    Click Windows Media Player 11, and then click Remove.
    Follow the prompts to uninstall Windows Media Player 11, and then restart the computer when you are prompted.
    If Windows Media Player 11 is not removed, try Method 2.

Method 2: Run a program to remove Windows Media Player
    If Method 1 does not work, you can use this procedure to uninstall the core of Windows Media Player.

Click Start, click Run, type %windir%\$ntUninstallwmp11$\spuninst\spuninst.exe, and then click OK.
    Click Next, and then click Finish.

Back to the top | Give Feedback
    To prevent Windows Update from downloading Windows Media Player 11, follow these steps:

Click Start, point to All Programs, and then click Windows Update.
    Click Custom, and then click Software, Optional in the Microsoft Update Home pane.
    Expand Windows Media Player 11.
    Click to select the Don't show this update again check box.

Note If the Don't show this update again check box is unavailable or dimmed, click to clear the Windows Media Player 11 check box, and then click to select the Don't show this update again check box.
    Click Review and Install updates to save the setting.

• Lisa Santika Onggrid

Thanks for the step to step explanation. It's so complete.