How can I safely store my laptop battery in warm climate conditions?

Suhel October 11, 2011

I’m living in a part of India where we have around 35-45 ‘C temperature. I don’t have a refrigerator or any other cooling device. Need some tips to safely store my laptop Li-Ion battery. :)

1. Pavlos Lombardi

I would say make sure the temperature doesn't change too much, because I could see that being bad for the battery. Just make sure to keep it fairly cool, and don't let it overheat. If you stick to a plan like that you'll have nothing to worry about.

How can I safely store my laptop battery in warm climate conditions?...@redears:disqus my best friend's mom makes $77 an hour on the computer. She has been out of job for 9 months but last month her check was $7487 just working on the computer for a few hours. Read about it here
    Ç à š h H ü g é Ç õ m

If I recall correctly Li-Ion batteries should be stored at ~60-80% charge at a temperature as close to 0°C as possible.

Any increase in storage temperature will result in a increased discharge rate. Since Li-Ion batteries should never be fully discharged you should take it out every 3-4 months and recharge it to the above level.
    To be safe you might want to take it out after 1 month to see what the average discharge rate is. Personally I wouldn't let it go below 20% charge.

For NiCd batteries they should be pretty much discharged before you put them into storage. Again the temperature should be as close to 0°C as possible.
    NiCd batteries don't need to be recharged during the storage time. Contrary if you decide to take them into usage again you should do a full recharge-cycle that means charge to 100%, overcharge for 1 - 1,5 hours and then fully discharge it.

Do you have the the box of the battery in which it was packed ? It was in the thermocol? you can use that packing.

You can use an icebox (a box of thermocol which can be used to keep the ice in solid format at the room temperature)

"thermo-col" the name itself says it prevents thermal transfer.
    or pack it using thermocol,
    what i am talking about is this :
    http://2.imimg.com/data2/MD/XO/MY-2202555/thermocol-ice-box-250x250.jpg

you have to keep in cool and dry place, so don't keep it in a place with moisture.
    and avoid direct or indirect sunlight.
    Use JUTE

Even the Gola-walas and many other out door food sellers use these things to prevent their ice from melting with this jute bags and icebox, you can find mostly as the grain bags.
    http://2.imimg.com/data2/FK/LM/MY-1888780/grain-pulses-jute-bags-125x125.jpg

so it will take care of your battery

May be you can use a combo...a jute bag in an ice box.
    It will help to keep the temp. down.

Jugaad  :)

• Suhel

Thanks Jay, much appreciated :)

One more point, take out the battery from your storage, and use it once in a month just do a full charge and discharge.
        don't keep it stored forever.
        and let it warm up for some time,before you insert and charge it. don't insert it in the laptop directly.

Even if you get a fridge, don't keep it in the freezer. freezing the battery will damage it.

5. Mjevolve

>recommended to store it to a clean, dry, cool place away from heat and metal
    objects.The suitable temperature is about 15°C.
    keep it in under the bed storage , or something like it ..

>  
    Before storage, you must confirm battery of your laptop is not completely exhausted. If empty, charge for 30 minutes .
    clean with a soft cloth and then store it .. 

nothing much .....

• Suhel

15 'c is Impossible for me to obtain... I got no source of cold temperature

• Mjevolve

store it in some place like the cellar, a trunk kept in cool place away from sunlight,a closed cabinet which is away from any heat sources . ...
        meaning any place you can find in your home which is dark n cool , away from heat would be appropriate .

and also remember , not to store it for very extended periods , as to the point you forget you stored a battery some time back ..  :)

and before using the battery again , recharge it fully for its recommended full charge duration , and then power on the pc ...

• Suhel

thanks mate