How do I safely remove the existing memory stick from my laptop?

Myke46 June 28, 2010

I want to upgrade the memory on my laptop.There are 2 spaces for memory sticks. I am going to go with the max recommended for my computer (Compaq Presario CQ50-103NR): 4GB. I have two 2GB sticks to install. My question is: How do I safely remove the existing stick ?

1. Steve Campbell

RAM is generally plugged in and it should be possible for you to just gently pull it out. There may be clips on each end or something you have to press in, but honestly getting to the RAM can sometimes be the most difficult part.

Make sure to consult your computer's manual so you can be sure to get the right type of RAM. Since you got 2 2GB chips you should be good, because I know with Compaq they sometimes require you to have two chips of the same size.

2. Merryann Palmer

Replacing memory is not all that difficult. You do have to remember a few things before you go opening up your laptop:
    - Please be sure it is unplugged. It is also a good idea to remove the battery to make sure there is no current running through anything. This is to protect you.
    - Ground yourself to remove any static charge you may be carrying. This is to protect your equipment.
    - Be careful how you handle the memory card. It is best to handle it by the edges, BUT be sure you don't handle the edge with the contacts (a series of metallic lines that look sort of like a keyboard). This is the side of the card that goes into the socket/plug.
    -Refer to your user's manual, paper if you have it, on screen if you don't. There will be a section on upgrading the memory. It should have a picture or diagram showing where the memory is located, and which panel to remove to get to it.

Here is the link to HP/Compaq's .PDF instructions on how to replace the memory modules for your computer: http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c01486508.pdf

This should cover any questions you have on how to proceed. I was about to give you step by step instructions, but this document does it all, complete with pictures. Good luck!!