Is it safe to run two antivirus or malware programs on my laptop?

Ashwin Ramesh August 5, 2012

I have Microsoft Security Essentials and IObit Malware Fighter Pro installed on my laptop now.

Is it a good idea to keep both ON when I use my laptop? Or should I turn OFF one of the two? If so, which one is better to turn OFF?

Thanks!

1. Steve

It is never a good thing to run two or more anti virus programs, I will put it this way - a majority of people will say that it only slows down your pc, this is a half truth, what is really happening is that one is fighting against the other (EG: Microsoft security essentials and Norton or avg are trying to protect your system at the same time, each of them will see the other one as a virus because of the conflict of real time scanning, it is a bit like two security guards at a venue each from a different company fight with each other - while they are fighting the undesirables get past them while they are distracted), just instal one anti virus (free or paid) and remove all others, just be careful on what sites you visit - rule of thumb is that if you know your pc is up to date but a site is saying you must instal this to continue DONT it's a virus (spyware etc). hope this helped.

2. Vishal Mishra

you shold not run two antivirus in same OS at a time but you can run an antivirus and firewall OR antivirus and antimalware.

3. Amit Sinha

its is not better to use two program for same work. if you continue to go with the two you came to a situation that both software blacklists each other.
    use IObit Malware Fighter Pro

• akshay

yes it is good ,but some time according to your pc it would make pc slow
      if you have a above 1 gb ram you can install two antivirus because when you install two antivirus it make your system more secure some time some virus can only identifi by some anitivirus so it is good to use both
      dont bother about others word because my father is a software engeenear

i recomment avast and avira

4. Kao Vang

Sometimes 2 AVs conflicts with each other. Most times, it is 'unwise' to run 2 AVs. You can use something like Malwarebytes or SuperAntispyware for on demand malware scanning/removal and run one AV. Best thing to do is to practice safe surfing habits.

5. Kevin Fegan

Generally, you can have more than one AV installed at the same time Then you can do a manual scan using one AV progam at a time.

It can cause problems if you turn on the "Real Time Protection" on for more than one AV at a time.

6. Sumaiya

yeah its safe..but my one antivirus makes my pc so slow, i would never run two..

7. Mauro Vitali

yep.
    the only things is that in some cases they could see each other as a maleware or a virus.
    the best is to have only one antivirus and one anti-maleware...
    but if you want to have two of them then remember to delete every virus or maleware when find

8. Adjei Kofi

it's ok of you use both cos they'll provide better protection. also MSSE copes well with other antivirus programs

• Ashwin Ramesh

I see... thanks for your input!

9. Mel Reynolds

Security Essentials is better than IObit i believe, also i just tried Kingsoft antivirus, check it out

• Ashwin Ramesh

Never heard of Kingsoft! Will check it out...

10. Hanamichi Kurotsuchi

no, because each one of them will detect other as a virus and they will not perform correctly, so run one antivirus at a time.

if you're using internet so much, so I suggest to you using Internet Security rather than antivirus, because it has more features than antivirus.

11. Yasin Soliman

Both will run fine, although it will strain your computer's processing power more, unless the laptop can continue to operate normally, in which case no conflicts should occur.

12. Bibek Kunwar

mo it s not

13. Jules Meijer

It should run fine, but if you get internet problems, maybe you should turn off one.

14. the profiesto ..

I think you can use a better antivirus like avg 2012 free edition... or you can use microsoft essentials and malwarebytes is good to catch malware..

15. Christopher Harlan

I use both Microsoft Security Essentials and the IObit suite. It wont harm it, but they could interfere which could cause one of them to not work to the fullest extent.

16. ReĆ½ Aetar

if both dont creat conflicts then no problem but it will have effect on the performance

17. Anay Chaubal

Why not use one very good protection suite, rather than two softwares? Avast has a very good free version, also Avast Pro is rather cheap on price, as well as resources consumed. I use Avast Home, and it has never failed me for about 6 straight years. Microsoft Security Essentials is good, but it only gives the bare essential level of protection, and this is still much less than what a basic antivirus program will do.

18. Dayaanand1

I would advise you to keep only one software ON. as having both ON will only reduce the processing speed of the computer.

19. Usman Mubashir

if your pc is powerful enough it should run both without any hunch, it might be even better to run both as one might catch something that the other misses. However I strongly suggest if you have a strong pc, go for something better, I don't personally like any of them.

20. Luke Brannon

It seems silly to run two AV systems to be honest, best thing to do is keep MSSE because, honestly, I actually think it's the best AV out there for free!

21. Lambvolution

two or more antivirus makes your laptop slow

The issue in general is not a simple matter of a simple number of installed antivirus or antimalware programs installed, but in how they operate. The big issue has to do with if they are on-demand scanners or if they are on-access scanners. The on-access scanners are the ones that will cause the problems. The situation arises that the system access a file, both scanners see this and both compete for access to the file to scan it. Another more devastating (performance-wise) possibility is when one of the scanners access the file for scanning, the other scanner sees this and decides it needs to scan the file first which triggers the first scanner seeing this new access and sees that it hasn't completed its scan of the file, so it wants to deny access to the second scanner until its scan is completed,... Big deadlock situation that will cause some scanners to completely block access to files, including system files required to allow the system to continue to run. The entire thing can be avoided by only allowing one scanner to run on-access scanning while any others will be on-demand only.

• Ashwin Ramesh

Thanks for the info! Makes things a lot clearer!

• Jules Meijer

like a pro, this is a clear answer. Thank you for this.

23. ferdinan Sitohang

It is fine to have two antivirus in your laptop, may be it just a problem of resources. When you are running two antivirus then it takes more of laptop resources. If you want just one AV just use Microsoft essentials.

24. Ashwin Ramesh

Thanks a lot for you suggestions everyone. I'll have IObit turned off then!

25. Suman Acharya

running two antiviruses in a system can cause system instability and you don't need to run two anti-viruses in a system. if both are active there will be frequent system lock-ups, slow down and other performance issues but in your case it will work good - these are not hard-core anti-viruses. you can turn one off - anyone.

26. Shakirah Faleh Lai

Microsoft Security Essentials is not a real antivirus.

• Sam del Borello

Could I ask you to explain this further? I have read a lot of good reports on MSE and gave up on the resource hungry Norton. Was this not a good idea?

• Paul Li

It most definitely is a "real antivirus". Norton just slows down your computer.

27. Dalsan

MSSE should be ok with IOBit as the two aren't strictly antivirus programs. IOBit does well with making software that doesn't conflict very much with others as Norton and McAfee will conflict with most others.

it should run fine both, Microsoft Security Essentials should be better than IObit Malware Fighter Pro so if you want to turn one OFF then turn off iobit.