Is it safe to use a registry cleaner?

David November 11, 2010

I just installed Glary utilities on my new netbook. Can or should I use the registry cleaner regularly without worry? I am running Windows 7 Starter. It is an ASUS 1015 PEM.

1. Oscaradog

There is a consensus, thanks. - David

Most of the registry cleaners have an option to backup the registry before making any changes to it. Some do this automatically. That said, i wouldn't recommend using unless you're well familiar with what you're doing and able to restore your PC in case something goes wrong.

2. Vineeth Reddy

I would suggest that you do not use a registry cleaner unless you are a advanced computer user.

David,

more than any other performance enhancing tools, registry cleaners can potentially cause a lot of damage. Hence, you should only use one if your computer runs slow and you have exhausted all other means of cleaning up your system.

Chris Pirillo published a very informative article and a video about the subject. You can read it here. In short, he recommends that you do not use a registry cleaner.

Be sure to make a backup of your registry first and know how to restore it if needed. Also create a Windows Restore Point.

We have had similar questions with some helpful answers before. You can view them here:
    How can I clean my registry?
    Why is a registry cleaner needed?