How safe are personal data on my Android phone when I allow games or apps access to them?

ibcrusn November 29, 2010

Those that are fortunate enough to have an Android device know we have access to so very cool apps, games etc. But is it just me or do too many require access to personal information on our phones? Is this much access necessary if you’re playing a word game, use a to-do app or any other program? What assurances are there the data will not be used or sold? Lastly, am I digging to deep and over thinking this?

1. Renaissanceprince

I wass worried about the exact same thing. They are getting us to trade our privacy -the little if any we have left-for convenience again! Im sick of always making this trade Technology is a double-edged sword (Occam's Razor). I really hope the FTC or some consumer watchdog group is paying close attention to all this too. I know the Feds are now because there is already a class action suit being filed as I write this against Lynkedin or whatever its called re the selling of names and data. They are denying it of course. Big money in this stuff apparently. Scary though. Soon they won't need our permission to read our every thought. Welcome to Huxley's Brave New World.

2. Ibcrusn

Thanks guys. I was pretty certain it all boils down to common sense and a gut feeling. I just hope others will give some consideration to the topic before they press the install button.

3. Mark O'Neill

As an Android user myself, I would just say that there are risks to everything you do in life. You can minimise that risk though by only installing apps from reputable places and avoiding all the shady ones. You can tell mostly by just looking at apps whether or not they can be trusted. This is one of those things where gut instinct can go a long way.

Your personal info being sold is a definite possibility. Watch for shady Apps, there are shady apps on the Market. Alot of people are having trouble with apps not in the App Market, but that does not mean all apps inside the Market are safe.

Also, the Android is based off of Unix, so be careful. There is alot of focus building around Android devices, It is just a matter of time before a real hard-core virus hits.

No one take offence to this ( I really could take my own advice), A Little Common Sense Goes Along Way.