Is it safe to use an OEM version of Windows 7 Professional?

Sheeva May 9, 2010

Is it safe to use the OEM versions of an operating system? I have a fully licensed Windows XP Pro and Windows Vista Business. I would like to upgrade one of them, preferably the Vista to Windows 7 Professional. Will the OEM version be legal, safe, upgradeable (updates)?

1. roflcopturd

Klaasharry, if your lookinf for a way to remove your non geniune version, just uninstall KB971033 in the updates section,

2. Klaasharry

Oron, I don 't agree with that. I bought a legal OEM version (with sticker for my hardware, license code, etc.). I installed, registerde but a few months ago, after updating Windows, I have a message that my software is not legal. I don't know how to prove that, as i see it, the software is legal indeed: paid for it, own hardware, license key sticker is on the hardware, it only runs on one system...). But I don't know what to do now, because MS doesn't support OEM< versions...

That would depend where you are using the OEM version. If you are using it with the laptop/computer that it came with, then yes you can. If you are going to use it on some other laptop/computer, then I recommend you avoid that as that is illegal and Microsoft may deactivate your copy after a Windows Update.

• Oron

Abhigyan, that is not the case. OEM versions are as legal as other versions. Microsoft has contracts with vendors, allowing them to use OEM licences only in conjunction wiht new hardware, but that does not make it illegal for *an end user* to transfer it to different hardware. Of course, the software must only be installed on one machine at a time and the user must have the COA etc.
      Sometiems, the OEM installation is tied to particular hardware, but in this case you can tell very quickly that this is the case as Windows will refuse to run (or even install) on the PC, so you would never get to the stage of trying to upgrade it.

In other words, if an OEM version of an OS runs on a PC, you can use the Upgrade licence to upgrade it.

4. Steve Campbell

Yes, the OEM version of Windows can only be installed on 1 machine. So long as you also have the other disks for your fully licensed OSs, you should be fine with the upgrade. You'd be wise in upgrading the Windows Vista Business copy, in my opinion. XP Pro works pretty well.

5. Sonny Bass

One other thing to consider is that an OEM version will be tied to the computer first installed on & can't be transfered to a different one.

If I understand your question correctly, then yes, it will be fine. OEM simply means that the software is licenced to hardware vendors rather than to end users, and as long as you buy a legitimate copy of the software, it should work. The only difference between the OEM and 'Retail' versions is that the latter comes in a fancy box and possibly with a manual.