Is it safe to use Mint?

Eric February 23, 2011

Mint said it was a free personal finance software to assist me to manage my money, financial planning, and budget planning tools. It asks my Bank ID and Password, so I am afraid of losing all my money. Could someone advise me?

1. Jason Hoang

Are you kidding? You provided them with all the information they need. Do they even need to transfer money from the site? They just look in to your account directly.

2. Jason Hoang

3. Jason Hoang

4. Jamesbun

Well, mint may not be able to do it, but these hackers who can hack into it and steal your account info may be able to move your money as well. What do you guys think?

5. Will Radie

Mint is highly regarded around the web. You dont generally get the reputation it has without being worth it.

Also.. to answer your fear about losing your money.. Mint cant do anything like that.. It cant move money in anyway (last I knew). It is really a MONITORING system.. that basically helps advise and plan things using your banking data.

Eric,

check out this article: How safe are online financial sites like Mint.com?

In essence, Mint.com is not necessarily 100% safe, but at least it's trustworthy. However, to trust a website with your bank information, I find 'trustworthy' alone is not enough. Someone might still figure out how to hack the site and steal your information.

As Tina pointed out the Mint is a trustworthy website. In regards to haw safe it is I think it's safe enough. They have been all over the news last year.