How safe is it to use LimeWire?

djdoerr February 2, 2010

How safe is it to use LimeWire?

1. Mayor Of Simpleton

Please scan your downloaded file with your anti-virus software before you open it. I had several files from Limewire canceled in mid-download because my AV found a Trojan or other malware.
    Soulseek is HIGHLY recommended for music downloads. Not legal, as abhigyan pointed out, but safe.

If by safe, you mean whether it's legal, then I'm sorry to inform you that it isn't (not for software and copyrighted media redistribution purposes, anyways). Otherwise, from the point of malware, as long as you have all your software security solutions updated, and have multiple security policies in place (firewall, antivirus, anti-spyware, etc.), you are safe to go.

3. Mohammad

I've never had problems with it. Just make sure not to download stuff with weird names and the things your not sure about. Also, after downloading the stuff, scan it with you resident antivirus before opening them. I also recommend using MalwareByte's Antimalware as a second line of defense. Hope this helps

4. bee48

I did use limewire all the time for music. I then realized I could download movies, and went elsewhere. MY daughter still uses limewire. I know alot of people claim virus trouble, but for my use of the program I didnt receive any problems at all.