Is it safe to kill all running apps on an Android device?

Pubudu K July 24, 2014

In most of the Android devices (I use a Note 3), there’s a way to kill running apps by a long press on the home button and then swiping all the running apps out. Is this safe?
I just turned off auto kill in Clean Master, does this mean it will cease to run in the background or do I have to uninstall it?

1. Vinnu

yes you can kill by long pressing the home button. it will save your battery and makes the mobile performance quick

• Ben S

No, it won't. It won't make your performance quicker at all, since it closes running apps and has to re-start them when you open them back up.

2. Jeff F

I suppose it's okay to kill non-system services, as long as you're only killing complementary third party apps that are not required for basic functionality. The worst damage you'll do is lose all unsaved data because the system crashes.

3. Edwin J H

Yes you can clean application by long press on the home button, but don't close them by clean master (if clean master have super user permissions)

4. Ben S

For a full explanation on this, please read Joel's excellent article at

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/ram-boosters-task-killers-bad-android/

In short, it's "safe" to blindly kill running apps, but it isn't smart. It's an old idea that doesn't provide results like you think it does and shouldn't be done unless an app is misbehaving. If it happens often, I'd uninstall that app and look for an alternative.

well if you kill essential services then they will take more time to load so you use more cpu and battery power