Is it safe to download older software versions?

K.Molto May 8, 2010

I am currently using a version of Windows no longer supported by Microsoft. How safe is it really to download older versions of software such as Adobe Flash and CCleaner, etc. Until I get the new Mac, this may be older, but it’s all I’ve got. Thank you

My opinion, use Linux for the short term.But then again, no one writes viruses for older system because no one uses them and would attack them.

But then again, people still use IE6 still which is like 9 years old.

How long is the waiting period before you get your new Mac? If I may suggest, instead of holding on to the old version of Windows with all the flaws and incompatibilities, why not switch to the latest version of Ubuntu?

If safety is the issue, I think Ubuntu is much safer than the old Windows.

3. lakridserne

No it's not safe. There may be security wholes that's discovered and patched in the new version, but people didn't know about it in the old version.

If you turn it all around, you could say that no program is really safe because there's always a little bug somewhere. But with every version, more and more bugs is discovered leading to make life hard for crackers. And then they'll most likely try another computer that's less safe.