Can I run two webcams simultaneously on one computer?
Question by SaveDan /

Is it possible to have your laptop’s webcam and a second webcam both on at the same time?

Browse other questions & answers in the category ; tagged ; or ask your own question.

• Aliciathamesmccullough

Same question. I want to add my phone as a second webcam on my Toshiba laptop that has a Cam in it already and record simultanious

• anon

is there a way to calculate the time difference between something happening on one webcam and another webcam a few metres away from it?

• Test

Hello. Is there a known formula to calculate how much USB bandwidth is needed? Say I was using a 640×480 USB camera at 30frames per second. how much usb bandwidth would that use up?

• USB Web Camera

Thank you for your information.

did any of the solutions suggested above solve your question? Please let us know what worked (best) or whether you need more help. Thank you!

If your using HD cams make sure they are plugged into two separate USB controllers otherwise they wont work together because bandwidth issues unless you have USB3 probably work then. Else you can reduce the resolution to 320X240 which reduces the bandwidth of each camera and will allow more than one cam to record on one USB controller, even 640X480 made the bandwidth requirements too much. So either use low a resolution or increase number of USB controllers.

First you will need to install TeboCam in two separate directories.

The easiest way to do this is to copy everything under your current TeboCam directory into a new one – except the config.xml and config.bat files in the XML folder 1

Do not copy across the config.xml and config.bak files in the XML folder – these files will be created automatically on starting up TeboCam – if you do copy them across you are likely to get errors!

Then start up each TeboCam with the webcams attached.

On the Webcam tab – ensure that you select a different webcam for each verison of TeboCam.
    On the Alerts tab – ensure that each version of TeboCam has a different “Filename Prefix” e.g tebocam1and tebocam2 (the start and end cycles will not affect each other if the filename prefixes are different).

That’s all you have to do to get TeboCam running with multiple webcams.

Use Amcap
    It is a direct interface to all web cams on a system and you can run many instances at once, although you have to manually change the camera setting on each instance – easiest way is to copy the file to different folders as it saves a .ini file with the settings.

I-Catcher Console

Cool Webcam Security
    Our webcam software Watcher can easily be configured as an inexpensive multi-cam solution.

WebCam Monitor 5.24

• Josh Fox

Jonathan is right about having to be able to use multiple instances of the same program. There are some programs that can handle multiple cameras in the same instance, but they’re usually not free for versions that actually do this.

I used 2 webcams setup as security cams for when I was gone. I configured Dorgem (a discontinued, but still very handy software) to run in multiple instances. You can use the program to capture on command or to use motion detection.

Here’s the article I followed to make it work out…

If you’re not looking for motion detection, capabilities, this might not be the right program for you since that’s the main feature that makes it still a viable option. Other than that, it generally just depends on whether or not the program can handle multiple instances.

If you are wanting to use the different cameras in separate programs, however, it should be fairly simple. Just go into the settings per program to use the specific camera you want used with it.

• Jonathan Engeln

Assuming you are talking about running your laptop’s webcam along with another usb webcam, it is possible. The easiest way is to use a caption program which accepts to be run in several instances (VirtualDub, for example, or maybe the soft you got with your laptop or your other webcam). Then you can get both feed at the same time and do whatever you need to with them.

Please note that due to bandwidth issues, you might have to choose carefully which usb port you plug your webcam in.