Can I run Avast next to McAfee and if not, how can I deactivate McAfee?
Question by Vishwang Bhaskar /

I have a Dell Inspiron 7520. It came with 15 month McAfee Security Centre pre-installed. We have virus problem in our college DC, so we have been told to use Avast. I installed Avast Internet Security. Now I have both.

I have read that having two antivirus can create problems, so I want to deactivate McAfee, without uninstalling it because it is the original and Avast is not. Please help, so that I don’t face problems.

• Abba Jee

instead of giving you protection against viruses, malwares, you will only get slow speed, you need to uninstall one of them

• Vishal Mishra

i think you should not run both of them on same OS at a time as they will interfere in each other’s “work”.

• Raja Pradeep

My Laptop also came with McAfee(15 months) preinstalled. But it was the worst antivirus I have ever seen. It even deleted my counterstrike game files saying it was a trojan. So I uninstalled and started using Avast free. Avast is the best antivirus. Even the free version has tons of features, Anyway if you don’t want to uninstall McAfee you
    can disable it from McAfee Security center(It can be accessed from sytem tray).

• 573d1210d64cc82ed1979188e3b9622a

them two antiviruses can cause conflicts such as mcafee and avast, it slows down your computer when that happens so uninstall mcafee because avast is much better.

• Vishwang Bhaskar

thank you :)

• sam

open the console
      than open the real time protection
      uncheck the box ‘do not allow mcfee to turn off
      then close the window
      right click on the bottom icon
      there should be option now to turn off

• Erlis Dhima

McAfee is nothing but good.. So, uninstall it! Or better saying, clean uninstall both the antiviruses, and reinstall avast again..
    Even if you keep McAfee, it’s license with expire after some time!
    But, anyway, if you are so obsessed and want only to disable it, I can give you some tips!
    To disable it, means you have to disable all his services and autorun services…
    Follow this steps:
    1. Start
    2. In the search bar type: msconfig
    3. Go to services tab, and disable all that have to do with McAfee
    4. Go to startup tab, and disable all those that have to do with McAfee again..
    5. Click OK & restart!
    6. Done

Hope this helped!

• 573d1210d64cc82ed1979188e3b9622a

so you should unistall it from your computer, ccleaner is a good one

• 573d1210d64cc82ed1979188e3b9622a

running two antivirus programs can conflict and can crash your computer which is very bad

• Jayson Loggenberg

I highly suggest not running both, just becomes laggy.
    Go start —> Run—> msconfig —> Startp, and deselct Mcafee. This wills top it from running on startup, thus helping the overload.
    Other option is to uninstall Mcafee, just make sure you have some install files lying around. Recover the CD Key, and when uninstalling it normally asks if you would like to keep the user settings etc.
    Other option, bugger what they are telling you at school. Use mcafee, I have had very few problems with it. If you are really worried about the virus, ask them the name of the virus and strain, then do some research and see if Mcafee catches it…

• GrrGrrr

Mcafee is not good at all. Make sure remove it asap