Why can I not run Adobe Flash Player in Windows XP?

Jim D December 10, 2010

For some reason my Adobe Flash Player will not work anymore. I have Windows XP SP2 with Firefox browser. I have tried dozens of times to download the flash player and it tells me that it was downloaded successfully, but it will not play at all.

I am stumped on this one. Has anyone else had similar problems with the flash player? Anybody know of any remedies? Help!

1. dej

i have the same problem, I've supposedly downloaded successfully but it does not run or show up anywhere on firefox.  The adobe page has the blank grey box and says flashplayer disable.  How do I enable it if it doesn't show up in Firefox.

2. Irritated

I just installed SP3 on my Windows XP computer running I.E.8 and W.M.P. 10.
    Went to Adobe website and downloaded the latest version of Flash player.
    It has an icon in my Control Panel but it won't launch.The shortcut just takes me to a settings dialog box that has no "start" button. W.M.P. 10 does not support files with a ".flv" extension. I have searched the Windows Media Player website looking for a codec upgrade that will work, but there is nothing there. The ".flv" extension isn't even mentioned! I have files with an ".flv" extension that I can't run in Flash Player OR W.M.P.10 What's up with this? It shouldn't be this hard.

3. Jiminsz

Tina, thanks for your suggestions and I have tried to do what you have stated but to
    no avail. Any other suggestions? Anybody else out there recommend anything?

I added your question to the 'toughest tech questions' post that will be published Tuesday December 14th. I hope someone has a solution for you!

4. Jiminsz

I have tried to upgrade to SP3 previously but had to revert back to SP2 due to some
    issues with the SP3 upgrade. My firefox browser has been updated. I had downloaded
    the Flash Player from the Mozilla website and also from the Adobe website as well.
    The downloads have been successful but for some reason the flash player does not show
    up in the plugins for Firefox. IE does not recognize the Flash Player either but Chrome does but still can not play anything that requires flash. I am stumped on this one.

why are you running Windows XP with SP2? Please upgrade to SP3!
    Also make sure your browser is updated.

Where did you download the Adobe Flash Player / plugin?
    Did the download install successfully?
    Did you try another browser, e.g. Chrome or Internet Explorer?