Is there an RSS aggregator that allows tagging and categorizing, similar to Evernote?

David B February 14, 2014

I am currently using Feedly, but want to find another RSS aggregator, preferably with offline support.

I want to be able to categorize my feeds through tags.

Any suggestions?

Sub-folders and tagging (for search) may not exist for free in the RSS landscape. If it does, then I'm completely unaware of it (I purchased a Pro account with Feedly to get this feature). It's a shame because so many of us operate entirely out of the RSS reader and we need some kind of organizational system outside of folders (for free).

Feedly's Pro account offers tagging (AND folders, but not subfolders) and direct integration with Evernote, so you can send articles directly into Evernote for tagging. Personally, I think the paid version charges too much, but if you really need tagging it's the only way (to the best of my knowledge).

I'm sorry that I couldn't find a free solution. :-(

I may have mispoken. Are you looking for a folder system? Some people refer to tags as folders and vice-versa.

Feedly supports folders, which you can separate each feed into. For example, if you create "TECHNOLOGY" folder in Feedly, you can then drag and drop all tech feeds into it, and read them all by clicking on the folder. Just click on the "organize" link in the left column to create and remove folders.

• David B

I am looking for a tagging system. The thing is that I don't want my starred items, or separate articles to be tagged. I want the feed itself to be tagged.
      For instance in Evernote you can check several tags at the same time and it will show all the notes with the selected tags.
      If you have a lot of feeds, that could be useful to view the feeds you prefer, by selecting the tags.
      p.s. Actually Feedly's folders are more like tagging, as you can put the same feed into several folders. But it is still not very convenient if you have a big number of feeds.
      Also all the feed aggregators I know (including Feedly), don't support subfolders. This also makes difficult to organize feeds when there is a big number of them.

I've been looking for a good tagging system that exists separate from folders - to my knowledge, none exist, although you can rig a custom one yourself by using IFTTT and Evernote. Simply use IFTTT to turn all starred entries in Feedly into Evernote, notes. Then you can use Evernote to tag (and search) each entry in your RSS stream.

I hope that makes sense.

Here's the IFTTT recipe:

https://ifttt.com/recipes/99723-creates-an-evernote-every-time-you-save-for-later-an-article-in-feedly

FeedDemon has tagging support.Also,have a look at Sputnik RSS reader.

• David B

Thanks for the answer.
      FeedDemon allows tagging, but you can only tag the articles in the feed, not the feed itself.
      Also it does not allow sub-folders.