What can I do about RPMs going up and down on my SATA internal hard drive?

Frank May 15, 2010

Just bought a new internal hard drive and for some reason I can hear the RPM’s going up-down constantly. I have a little program that checks the health of the drive and the drive is ok, but the revolutions going up and down are driving me nuts! Please help!

Steve, some 'eco' drives are designed to speed up on demand, then slow down again (I think Western Digital were the first to the market with this feature, but others have probably followed). Check the model of your drive and see if this is one of them.

2. Steve Campbell

Frank,

I wasn't able to find a program for such a problem but maybe your computer is accessing something on the drive frequently throughout the day. Check which programs you have running and try disabling them one at a time to see if anything works. Also analyze what types of files are on the drive and see if you could think of any programs that would want to access them.

• Frank

Thanks Brother, I will check thru MSCONFIG, the only thing I can think of....!