How do I get to my router’s configuration page if it doesn’t have the usual IP address?

John August 22, 2012

I want to connect to Xbox live but it says my WPA password is wrong so I want to change it but whenever I follow the usual directions it says it can’t connect. How can I find the router’s IP?

1. Brian Kyle

You can try an app like angry ip scanner:

http://www.angryip.org/w/Download

2. Irshaad Abdool

if its dlink
    type 'dlinkap' directly in the address bar

3. steven ...

If you are still unable to solve this.
    Try to reset the router, there is usually a button for this on the router itself.
    Resetting the router will return the ip to its default.

4. Ben Mordecai

1. Win Key + R. Brings up the run dialogue.
    2. Type cmd.exe and hit enter
    3. Type ipconfig and hit enter
    5. The address for "Default Gateway" is your router's IP address

5. Dos Moonen

Go to http://portforward.com/networking/staticip.htm and choose the operating system of the computer you are on that is already connected to the network. Not the XBOX you can visit that one once it is connected if you want to.

Follow the steps until you can read the "Router" of "Default Gateway" value. That is the IP address of your router/bridge. It should start with look like 10.x.x.x, 172.16.x.x or 192.168.x.x as those ranges are reserved for private networks.

6. muotechguy

It might not be a wrong password, by the way. Might just be an incompatible WPA setting - too secure or something.

Honestly though, you'll get far better pings if you connect over ethernet cable - gaming on wifi is going to put at a serious disadvantage on xbox live.

If you have any other devices connected to the router, go to that device and look at the network adapter's TCP/IP settings. The default gateway that is listed should be your router. You could also open up the command prompt and type 'route print -4' and look at the line that has the Destination as 0.0.0.0. The gateway column on that line will be your default gateway (router).

• Wouter Ruelens

You could also type 'ipconfig' into your command prompt. The standard gateway will be the ip of your router.