Do I need a router to turn my workstation into a server?

a2warik August 11, 2011

I have followed the articles on MakeuUeOf about how to turn my Linux PC into server.

I have a broadband connection and service provider has given Scientific Atalanta 2100 router (not sure whether to call it router). How to find port 80 for this hardware or do I have to buy a router.

Also, installing Apache and MySQL through Synaptic didn’t install applications on menu bar, although browser when addressed to my PC showed Success in installing Apache.

1. Guest

DDNS

2. A2warik

I checked through my mobile internet and i could see my page. Yes it works. Now the next step is to read some php and mysql.

Thanks for help

3. a2warik

When browser says that server work fine does it mean that I can view this message and any other file if created in php, html from any other computer by just typing my ip address.

4. Anand Warik

Thanks Mike, I used to believe that MySQL database must be similar to Excel workbook and Php gives one access to these contents and thus makes webpages dynamic.

Thanks Jeffery, I am going through LAMP guide...

No problem... I guess you could compare (My)SQL to Access in some way.

If you look at Access you usually don't input values into the raw database or read information out of it this way. Instead you build an interface with some boxes and drop-down fields and you read stuff out of the database using a report.

For SQL the difference is that those interfaces and reports don't happen "within the same application". Instead they are represented by an web application or platform or some other program on the computer or server.

5. A2warik

Thanks Jeffery,
    I have installed Apache and SQL on Ubuntu 8.04
    Apache is running, i have checked that in browser.
    Its disappointing to find that both MySQL and Apache are accessible only through command line.

Can I use my modem to connect to server, here at makeuseof an instruction says that port 80 is to be forwarded how do I do that on my modem?

• Jeffery Fabish

You don't need to forward ports if you connect directly to your modem. However, to answer your question you can forward ports (most likely) through your modem administrative interface. This is usually at 192.168.1.1. If that doesn't work, try http://192.168.100.1 .

If niether of them work, go to your Windows box and in a CMD (start -> search/run: cmd.exe) and type "ipconfig", and after "Default Gateway" is the address you need to log into to find your interface, or on your Ubuntu box, type "ifconfig" or "iwconfig" into a terminal and find the "gateway".

Don't be upset that these tools are only available via the command line. The CLI offers much more functionality than a GUI can ever provide, plus you will need to execute very few commands for Apache (other than restarting) and MySQL after the initial setup.  You can always use "PhpMyAdmin" to assist you with your databases.

As I promised, here is more information on setting up a server for Ubuntu.

I'm not sure what you expect Apache and MySQL to be...

Apache is a webserver, a service running in the background. Usually you set it up once via the httpd.conf and (almost) never touch it again. It just runs in the background and serves all the web pages you put in the www directory where Apache is pointed to.

MySQL is a database, again~ a service running in the background. You set up an database admin login and that's it. You usually don't put things into it manually. 

You put your web application into the www directory, put the server address and database login into it's configuration and everything else is done automatically.

If you ever come across some application the requires you to manually setup a database within SQL you can usually find the one-line command in it's readme or installation guide.

If you do want some graphical interface for MySQL you should look into phpMyAdmin.
      http://www.phpmyadmin.net

No, you don't need a router to run a server. However, you'll need to be sure your ISP isn't filtering inbound HTTP traffic (port 80). Also, Scientific Atalanta 2100 is a modem. 

Which distribution are you running the server on? Apache and MySQL are access via the command line, not a shortcut. To start apache run: sudo /etc/init.d/apache2 start

To test if Apache is running, in your browser go to http://localhost/

Do you see "It's working!" printed?