Why does rotating a picture with Windows stop it being viewable on my camera?

KamilKozyra October 29, 2012

Here’s my situation:

I take my memory card out of the camera and insert into my PC. As viewing images on my PC, I decide to rotate some images clockwise (or counter clockwise). I safely eject my card & insert it back into my camera. When I view those rotated pictures in my camera, I get an error. Why? The non-rotated pictures appear without an error.

Thanks, I’m curious :)

1. Mchoff

Many people use the digital camera to capture pictures but sometimes you may lose your stored photos from memory card which you are using in this camera. In such condition I recommend you to restore pictures from camera memory card you can use photo recovery software. The software is available in free demo version which you can download and install in your system and preview your recovery results. If you satisfied with this then you can purchase full licensed version of this software.
    For more info:http://www.bestfilerecoveryprogram.com/restore-raw-images-from-dslr-camera-memory-card.html
    Download: http://www.bestfilerecoveryprogram.com/download/bestfilerecoveryprogram-windows.exe

2. Kamil Ko

Thanks everybody for explaining :)

While you rotate a image,its quality gets lost as the image has to be manipulated to be viewable to human.So,one way to prevent any such thing is to use image viewing software like Irfanview,Picassa etc.

http://www.raymond.cc/blog/rotating-photos-or-pictures-in-windows-photo-viewer-causes-quality-loss/

4. Lisa Santika Onggrid

What program do you use to rotate them? You might want to check your profile because the output could be in formats not supported by your camera or resolutions not matching your camera model. Or the data might be corrupted when you ejected the card(maybe the editing program hadn't quitted yet)

5. Patrick Jackson

KamilKozyra, it is so simply because after rotating the image, its resolution changes, and your camera may not support it (You might have not seen the warning dialogue box that appears when you click rotate icon).

Now, you can either try to rotate them back and then try to see them on your camera.

Hope this helps! :)

are the rotated photos on the memory card or now they are just link and still on windows desktop?

Most likely when your camera tries to display those images it finds that they will no longer fit properly on the display so it kicks out an error instead. To see if this is truly the case, turn an image 180 degrees (or flip/mirror it) and see if there are problems viewing it in your camera after that operation. If you can view it without an error, my initial hypothesis is probably correct.