Why does my rooted Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 running Jelly Bean not boot?

Ashley Erickson September 11, 2012

I have a rooted Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 and it won’t turn on past the startup screen. It freezes until I shut it off. How do I reboot my tablet? This device runs on a Jelly Bean ROM that was installed a couple days ago.

1. Dalsan

Did you "dirty" install jelly bean or clean install? "dirty installing means to install a ROM on top of another without wiping your phone first, basically like upgrading without losing much information or apps. Clean installing is best, which means to wipe your phone, wipe the dalvik cache and such. I would try to reinstall jelly bean through a custom recovery like ClockWork Mod to see if that helps. I've run into similar instances before, but reinstalling helps. Hopefully you have Titanium Backup to help with full ROM backups, along with app and data backups to recover from.

Hello Ashley, I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing boot problems.

It seems that you already know your way around a rooted Android device + ROM so I'm going to give a brief overview of the recovery process (1) and then follow up with a brief discussion of (2) the kinds of missteps that might perma or semi-brick your device.

(1) If you installed a custom recovery then the repair process is greatly expedited. The process for entering recovery mode, as you likely already know, is by powering on the device while holding the volume up key. By entering recovery mode, you might flash another custom ROM or restore a backup. You likely know this already however, so I won't discuss it any further.

(2) There are a variety of potential causes for a failure to boot, doubly so when your device is rooted. If your custom JellyBean ROM was installed using ClockWorkMod (CWM), which is a custom recovery, your chances of recovering the device dramatically increase.

A warning, however, about rooted devices with custom ROMs - unless you specifically know it works, avoid using the factory reset option from within the device. Always use the "factory reset" option from within the recovery. Not doing so may render your device UNBOOTABLE! A lot of ROM developers will remove the reset option in Android as it's a well documented method of messing a device up semi-permanently.

The problem is so frequent that many developers have devised (or will devise) methods of fixing the issue. And many devices have already fixed this problem. For example, I know that the Tab 2 is free from this problem, but couldn't find anything on the 10.1 Tab. That said, you can TRY a factory reset, but be aware that it's possible it may have undesired results.

Another important point - if Samsung pushes out a firmware update, you will lose root (this is because the official ROM will install itself over the rooted ROM). Unless you have either blocked updates or otherwise protected your device against this.

There are quite a few other options, fortunately. Let us know if anything helped or if you have additional questions.

3. Ahmed Khalil

is this happen after you root it directly or what you did not spacify exactly what happen

4. Souheil Bahhady

Did you have a Custom Kernel with CWM but flashed through Rom Manager (or Non-CWM loaders)

5. Yash Desai

One of my friends had this problem, with his his memory was shorted, however he does have the Russian version. Samsung acknowledges this problem, but refuses to do anything about it, sorry. This will happen anytime you do a factory reset, which you had to have done to do the upgrade.