Why is my rooted HTC Explorer (Android 4.3.1) behaving so strangely?

Gagan K August 1, 2014

I have a rooted HTC Explorer running CM10.2 (Android 4.3.1). Since a few days ago, the battery backup is getting worse and drains very quckly without doing anything. I use greenify & DU Battery Saver PRO apps, but no help from them. If I use WiFi on my phone,it can’t even last 7 hrs even when the screen is off. If i keep my phone screen on for some time, the battery drains at an alarming rate. Here is the screenshot-
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-mKASEBsxS0dFBVbUFURDVxSzg/edit?usp=sharing

Also in the last few days my phone itself performs all sorts of functions on its own. For example, calling someone, dialing emergency no., removing lockscreen widgets, opening any app etc. Can someone please suggest some solution?

Did you perform a clean install or a "dirty" install? (Did you delete cache, Dalvik cache, clear storage, or factory reset the device before installing CM10.1 or just installed CM without performing the previously mentioned actions?) Dirty installs can cause issues like you mention, so a factory/hard reset could help, just clear the cache, storage, and Dalvik cache before doing so.

If that doesn't help, search to see if your kernel is compatible with the ROM. If it isn't, install (flash) a compatible kernel. If that still doesn't help, try a different ROM (and/or kernel). When searching for ROMs and kernels, check out any comments to see if there is mention of the battery life. This will tell you if it is worth trying.

maybe somehow you overclocked the cpu?

It seems that your phone might had got infected with malware as these kinds of activities cannot be done by any good app.Moreover,since your phone is rooted,any app can have super privileges to do anything.So,scan your phone with antivirus,backup your data and unroot your phone.

• Gagan K

I checked it with avast,but it didn't find any malware.Should i factory reset my phone?

• Dalsan M

A hard reset might help, though it will only get you to the original state of CyanogenMod that you installed, and you will lose all data and settings on the internal storage. Such drastic drops in battery life since changing ROMs is cause for concern. Check my post below for more information and suggestions.

4. Jeff F

According to the HTC Explorer review page, the battery life is the most poorly rated feature of the HTC Explorer (scoring at only a 1 of 5). It is my opinion that the battery life is a device-specific problem and has very little to do with the variants in ROM. However, I do believe the source of your device performing functions without your permission may be cause by the rooted ROM.

I recommend that you develop a baseline report for both the original ROM and CM10.2, to more accurately determine the difference if the change in firmware actually makes a big difference here. We're mostly concerned about the battery discharge rate. Please ensure that you have the exact same functions enabled (such as WiFi, apps installed, screen light intensity & timeout, etc.) and testing on the same device to get the most relevant data.

Put the original ROM back on there, give it a few days and see if things are better.

Helpful Links

HTC Explorer - OPTIMIZING BATTERY LIFE
    Reddit Android- What are your best and most useful tips for saving battery life on your Android device?

• Dalsan M

The variants in ROM do have influence in the battery life performance, which is why many people on XDA search for ROM that can be installed that improves battery life. However, the kernel and system settings can be changed to help improve battery life and/or overall device performance, including voltage settings, overclock/under-clock settings, and more. These changes can help with battery life, but there are other things to consider.