How can I root the Motorola Dext (Cliq) from Orange network?

Shane La Horie September 13, 2012

I have a Motorola Dext (Cliq) from Orange network and i have tried many methods/tutorials to gain root access to the phone but all have failed. Can someone please help by providing the exact steps necessary or provide a website that will work.

1. Shane La Horie

Thanks for all your help i was able to root and flash and upgrade using these set of instructions...

http://www.escapemodernslavery.com/how-to-upgrade-motorola-dext-to-android-2-1/

Hello Shane, believe me, I've been there. Rooting can be really, really hard. Especially when the guides (although well intentioned and written by brilliant people) have not been fully proof read or streamlined for general consumption. Not that anything I write will be any better. :-)

First, have you seen these directions yet? They involve using an APK root method, which is nearly a one-click affair. If you have and they didn't work, then keep reading.

More than likely your current problems are being caused by a lack of driver support for the DEXT in Windows 7. Basically, according to this post, as of 2009 no driver was available for the CLIQ. Perhaps that's changed in the last three years? Here's a link to Motorola's latest driver update software. Perhaps it will install the correct driver? This is an absolute prerequisite to getting root on your device.

If that's not the issue, I'm going to guess that you're having problems with ADB. Android Debug Bridge. The vast majority of problems that people encounter is with ADB. Specifically, getting the "#" prompt and properly setting up ADB. I'll try to explain what that is here:

ADB is a command line interface that allows you to interact with some very sensitive components within your phone. This is the best guide/installer around for a simple setup of ADB.

Caution is required. You will be entering commands into ADB, line by line. Start by entering cmd into the search bar in Windows. Right click on the program CMD.EXE that shows up in the menu and open "run as administrator".

If you installed everything correctly, you'll want to go to the directory where you installed ADB. It's usually in the C:\ADB directory. You'll follow something like this.

After that you'll follow the root directions as shown in the CyanogenMod Wiki site.

Good luck! And remember to back your files up in recovery mode. And be aware that rooting voids your warranty and runs the risk of destroying your device!

• Shane La Horie

I have tried all these methods and nothing worked. I have tried Superoneclick - it dosen't root the phone, Z4Root - Doesn't install on the phone, i have tried the ADB method and i don't get the # prompt. In my quest to root this phone i have checked all the links that u gave to me. Thanks but none of them worked for me. If this is any help then this is the phone's information. Model Number - MB200, System Version - Blur_Version.1.3.39.MB200.Orange.en.GB, Firmware Version - 1.5. If you need more information just let me know.

• Kannon Y

Have you tried going to the Windows 7 device manager? If there's a yellow or red icon among your devices, it mean that the proper ADB driver is not installed. And that may be the crux of the problem.

Another common issue is that you do not have USB debugging enabled under applications -> development -> Android debugging

The most common source for not getting the # sign in ADB is not enabling USB debugging.

• Shane La Horie

I'll try again and let you know what happens...

• Shane La Horie

This is the closest i have come so far

http://www.escapemodernslavery.com/how-to-upgrade-motorola-dext-to-android-2-1/#comment-155

when i go into the adb shell a type su i get the # symbol what's next? is the phone rooted now?

• Kannon Y

What the pound sign means is that you now have total access (root) to the most sensitive portions of your phone's file structure for that ADB session, not for when the phone is in operation. This allows you to install a custom recovery and obtain root access during operation. This is achieved by copying replacement files into special directories within your phone.

When the pound signs are seen, whatever you type into this area can permanently alter your phone, for better or worse.

The reason for this design is, for security purposes, phone manufacturers lock down directories located within your phone's internal memory, such as /system/ to prevent users from damaging their phones. Normally you can't even look at these locations and the majority of folks don't know they exist.

Anyway, rooting is a fairly complex process that one should not pursue unless they have reviewed the necessary documentation thoroughly. It also comes with substantial risk of destroying your phone if not properly carried out. Or if there is an error in the instructions. Or if you are using the wrong set of instructions.

That said, the instructions located within the link you provided are for Linux, not Windows: there are a few key differences that don't permit you to use them by cutting and pasting into an ADB session.

Also, he uses the more complex method of installing the full Android SDK and implementing the ADB commands from within the SDK's tool's directory. This is a crucial difference from some of the directions I've posted.

Another issue complicating things is the downloadable ROM that you will eventually flash. These are CARRIER SPECIFIC - meaning, if you flash the Spain-only ROM instead of the USA T-Mobile ROM, you will have semi-bricked your phone.

I believe on the DEXT that getting # instead of $ during ADB means you have successfully rooted your phone (on the many devices I've rooted, this is so, at least). So you should be able to transfer over the custom recovery and root the kernel. Unless you performed some command line ju-ju, it looks like one of the APK you installed worked.

The instruction guides I've been reading all support using ROM Manager (available in the Play Store) to both root and install a custom recovery. I personally don't like it, but it does seem to work for most people. Read the instructions below to get a better understanding of the process:

Also CyanogenMod officially supports the DEXT. Android 2.3 is available on the DEXT:

http://modmymobile.com/forums/548-motorola-cliq-roms/562032-rom-official-cyanogenmod-7-cliq-dext.html

If you have any additional questions, I'm more than happy to help.