How can I use my Roku to browse the Internet on my TV?

Greg Fritz February 21, 2012

1. arun

• TXFire

At this time you can not. You need a separate interface for your laptop to the TV. There are many devices on the market to do this, just look for wireless display adapters.

2. john

i hope Roku comes out with something like this soon and another question is ( does any one no any hack for Roku maybe that could be the answer to are problems......)

just think about it ill look it up to seee if i got any thing

3. Junito

I think another way to phrase it, would be, how to mirror the desktop display using roku. Basically, you using Roku to stream desktop content, Not using Roku to browse the net. Just as if you were connecting your laptop to the hdmi of you Hdtv, but instead your using the box.

4. brandi

How to browse internet on roku using android internet

5. Dry Sabre

I have the same question, and this is just funny to read Karkala's responses! Read the question first, dude! And don't use this forum to promote your freaking FB pages! Crap....

• shamicca

did anyone ever get an answer to this?

• Flaggy

The answer, at the time of writing this, is "no".

Some people have tried, are trying and will try to create a browser app for Roku. I've never tried. But it seems an obvious one to go for. Although I can't help thinking that's there's a fundamental stumbling block somewhere. If there weren't then there'd be browsers out there already. And one probably published by Roku.

Memory restrictions, no keyboard, maybe? I dunno.

But as it stands, none are available. Yet.

• Rohit Mehra

I agree with Flaggy and in the 1 week of using Roku my conclusion is, its fairly restrictive and it appears that provisioning a browser has been purposely avoided so that the app providers can earn subscription revenue. If Smart TVs can provide internet an internet browser, there's no reason Roku cannot and I will watch for another month before returning my Roku box and TV to switch for a Smart TV that gives me wider choice than Roku. ROKU are you listening?

I was very excited to use my smart tv by samsung to access the internet. I bought and installed the LAN adapter and did a few other steps. I did get Youtube but nothing close to web browsing. After a long grilling of the rep. at samsung, I learned that none of these devices can support Java script and therefore no web browsing.

6. Bernadette

My says to enter a code and that where I am stuck, can't get passed that screen.

7. Bernadette

Can't find a place to enter code????

8. Sekou Nabe

• Susendeep Dutta

Did you tried solutions suggeseted above?

• Debra

The questions above answer how to connect the Roku to GET ROKU CHANNELS ONLY.

The original question - and one most of us want answered is - how to go beyond the designated Roku only channels and get to, say,

Include instructions that end with "and then you're at and you can go anywhere from there"

• CoolHappyGuy

Yes! Karkala Nayak was trying to be helpful but didn't understand the question. We are not asking how to hook up Roku. Instead, is there a way that we can use our Roku box to browse the internet such as we do using Chrome/Firefox/IE, etc?

9. Girlsrule

It didnt help