How can I ring Google Voice to Skype?

jer979 February 5, 2010

ok, so here’s a tricky one to figure out…
let’s say I have a Google Voice number (I do) and I want it to ring my cell number and my Ring2Skype number.
How do we get it so that the Google Voice number will do that, given that the Ring2Skype has an extension which must be keyed in? (the commas don’t seem to work)..
I love you guys and have to say, if you get this one, I’ll be VERY impressed!
Thanks for the tip!

1. Hbuttox

I just got my Google Voice number forwarded to my Skype. It was tough though.. I kept trying and trying. It seems when the verification number consist of "0s" it doesn't work.. After the fifth time of google saying "I'm sorry I didn't get that" they finally caved!! So right now, My GV number (US) is forwarded too my Skype In (US) number. I just need to know how get a Thailand number from Skype.

• Salavat Khanov

How did you do that?

2. Maynard S. Clark

I want my SKYPE calls to come INTO my GoogleVoice, which I can then forward to my office, home, and cellular phones.

Maynard,

I would recommend to ask a new question.

3. Dotter

Outsourcing, your answer is stupid. Read the question again..the question is how to forward Google Voice to Skype, not how to get a number with an extension to ring into skype. Google Voice doesn't forward calls to numbers with extensions, rendering your answer...stupid.

• not-a-hater

Dotter, you are full of hate. Why?

4. Outsourcing

i m using ring 2 skype and its perfectly working all needed is a different number every time extenssion is not a good image for any company to use these services.

If you have a SkypeIn number, you can add that to your Google Voice numbers and it will ring whenever anyone calls your GV number. Very simple. My issue with it is that Skype Voicemail is awful and whenever you are not logged into Skype - the Skype VM automatically picks up the call - I couldn't figure out how to turn that off (from a Mac - might be possible with a PC - but I got too frustrated with it and shut down the Skype number in GV).

• Russdog

Re: using GV and skype without calls going to skype VM. GV VM answers after 25 seconds, skype's is adjustable. Its default setting is 15 seconds, so it will answer before GV VM gets the call. Just change the skype VM pick-up time to 40 seconds, and GV VM will get the call before skype VM does...

Thanks for the tip - problem is if you are not logged into Skype when you get the call - it automatically goes to Voicemail immediately (at least it did several months ago).

• ead

Hi, I'm just trying to work this out now. I have a skype in number, and would like for my google voice number to forward to this skype in number. However, when I enter it on GV and try to verify it, Skype gives me the following error: "The contact must have a valid phone number for you to send an SMS." How did you get around this? Thanks for your help.

I don't think I bothered to verify it - I just set it up as a phone number in GV and then used it. Easy enough to call your GV number to test whether it rings your Skype number. As far as GV is concerned, it's just a phone number.

• ead

Thanks your reply. Exactly how did you work out using an unverified number? My understanding (and experience) is that google voice will only forward calls to verified numbers...

You are right - I did verify it - and it does verify - just did it for my
          parents. When you call the Skype number (and Skype is running) you can
          enter in the verification number in the number pad.

• ead

Heh... typo when I entered my number for verification. It's the little things that get you. Thanks for your help! :o)

• Rowilli

Hello wshayes, when trying to add the SkypeIn number to GV, you have to enter the 2 digit verification code. When I try to enter it, via using the keypad on the laptop or using the skype keypad it doesn't work. Do you have any suggestions?

No - it worked fine for me when I did it.

• Ab

You should try to use a regular speaker phone. I had this problem and was eventually able to verify the number using a speakerphone.

6. William

Currently GV can't forward calls to numbers with extensions.
    http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/voice/thread?tid=2e1c283065060d28&hl=en

You can suggest that this feature be added!
    http://www.google.com/support/voice/bin/static.py?page=suggestions.cs

7. andy

If you have gizmo 5 you can have google voice call gizmo and gizmo forward to skype.

I understand however that the connection is limited to 2 minutes, which may be a problem.

Let us know when you find a solution

8. Matt

Try using p (for pause) instead... example 111-222-3333p4444
    Haven't tried it myself, but that's what windows mobile uses...