What rights do I need to obtain before I can launch a blog?

Varun Lakshmanan April 22, 2012

When setting up a blog, do we need to get any kind of rights, such as copyrights or trademark? If yes, where can we get them?

1. Dave Parrack

You would only need to obtain rights to use something that isn't yours. So a blog template, for instance. And then it's just about the content. Your writing is your own, but photos would have to be licensed under Creative Commons or company images. The same goes for music, video etc. It's better to err on the side of caution, although the first action would probably be a takedown notice.

2. Jimmy

Basically its pretty simply.
    Register a domain, get yourself a WordPress installation and start blogging.

I have my blog at http://www.ph9.com and those folks helped me get through.

You don't need any licence per se to run a blog. You just have to stick to the Terms of Service etc. of the service provider your blog is hosted at.

Only if you publish non-original content you have to follow copyrights and licence terms which may involve asking or paying the original creator for permission to publish "it" on your blog.