How can I get rid of a Yahoo search service alert pop-up upon changing browser tabs?

Chuck November 11, 2010

When I change tabs in my browser an alert shows:

“Your browser search service settings have been changed or disabled. Do you want to fix the settings and change back to Yahoo?”

There is a yes or no box. I click on yes, but the next time I change a tab the alert comes up again.

Chuck,

which browser is this on and what Yahoo components did you install on your computer? I would guess that you have installed the Yahoo Toolbar on one of your browsers, possibly Internet Explorer.

You can remove the Yahoo Toolbar or Search Protection installation. Assuming you're on Windows, go to > Control Panel > Programs and Features and find the respective entry.

On the other hand, this alert could mean that another program is trying to become your default search engine. What happens if you click no? Which is the default search engine then?