How can I get rid of former owner’s name and password on my Mac?

J. Cady May 14, 2010

I got a used Mac mini, and the guy who sold it left his name and it is password protected. How do I get it off? I downloaded files, and it will not let me access! He moved to Alaska, I do not know where!

Read the detailed section of this article for step-by-step instructions on regaining access to your Mac root account.

Here are the steps to retrieve access to Mac root:
    http://www.macpassword.com/recovering-lost-mac-root-password.html

2. Ladyofabq111

Nothing else worked to erase the password, so "Data Doctor" here in ABQ said he could fix it. He wiped it, but said the discs that came with it would not reinstall. ?? So he put on a more recent one (he said) which turned out to be 2, instead of the 4.5 it had. Now I can do even less with it, since that program is so old I can't update ANYTHING. MY ADVICE IS, NEVER BUY A USED ANYTHING COMPUTER. And be sure you have a REAL MAC guy work on it! J. Cady

I have never owned a Mac, but couldn't you wipe the hard drive and make a fresh installation of the operating system? Of course you would need a copy of an operatig system first.

3. Sameep

Look for OSX86tools. It has an option of resetting Leo/SLeo to the default state it is in on your first boot after installation. You can set up your account after that. You will lose all your data though so make sure you back up.

4. J C Gordon
  5. Hector Lee

Yes. You can change the system password by booting from the Mac OS X disc. If he has a firmware password then you'll need to remove it before you can reinstall the OS. I believe remove a stick of RAM to change the system config would do the trick.

6. Mark

smart ass, how could you install the Os X when it's asking for password on the installation? lol

• Boiii

uhm just restart the computer and keep the "C" button pressed.. Simple. Smart Ass ;)

If you have the Mac's installation disc, you can boot up from it and modify the password or other account details. Search the Mac's online help (perhaps for "reset password") for details.

Hi,

Unless you know the old password, there's nothing that you can do but reinstall the OS. (Be sure to backup everything before you do so). However, if you do know the password, changing everything is just a simple trip to the System Preferences - Accounts.