How do I get rid of my operating system and install a new one?
Question by Simone /

I have an HP computer that has Windows XP and I really want to install Windows 7 on it. How do I do that? Is it also possible to save the operating system on a CD or something just in case I need to boot from a disk?

Browse other questions & answers in the category ; tagged , , , , ; or ask your own question.

• Simone

It was a success! I don’t know why, but I thought it would be much harder. I did a clean install. So everything that was on there before is not on there anymore. I’m so happy! I have not downloaded the programs I use, yet. Cheekyface9, I can’t believe you don’t like Windows 7. I’ve had it on a newer computer for 2 years and I absolutely love it. I don’t think I will ever go back to XP. It sucks that you are having so much trouble with your netbook. I’m getting ready to buy one and was seriously considering buying an Asus, but now I have to rethink that decision.

Thanks for the feedback, Simone. Glad your upgrade worked so smoothly!

Regarding your upcoming netbook purchase, why not post a new question and ask for suggestions. :)

• Cheekyface9

I have a Netbook which is still under warranty and spends more time in Asus than at home….currently back there again. It has Windows 7 installed and I hate it. I will wait until the warranty expires and want to install XP, as XP is much easier for me to use. I have XP on my desktop and find W7 is a PITA!
    I have serious issues with this thing because in the 11 months I have had it, it has had a new hard-drive, motherboard, WIFI cable, and various other small things replaced.
    Question, has anyone else bought an Asus Netbook and had as much trouble with it as I have?

sorry to hear you’re having so much trouble with your Asus netbook. It’s incredible how many parts you had to have replaced! To receive some feedback from other Asus users I suggest that you ask a new question.

• Cheekyface9

Thanks Tina….I am not much up on the workings of pc’s….a bit like owning a car, I know how to operate it but if something goes wrong, I get the expert to fix it…..however, I do know when it is not running correctly. Last week it told me the year was 2019 and this week it said the date was 2027. It refuses to allow me to access my emails anywhere, except at the Asus shop. Where I live we have a resident scientist who is also a computer whizz. He has suggested that when Asus put in the other hard drive, that they have used one from another computer (not a new one), and that the email server does not recognize the number of the HD. He told me that unless Asus fix that issue, then I will consistently have the same problem. Does anyone else know if this is correct please? I have not been able to access my emails on the Netbook since they replaced the HD…yet I can still access the internet.

obviously you’re having serious computer issues! Please post a new question to receive the best possible answers from our experts. Thank you!

• Rhino

If the data is not important, two options I use, Darik’s Boot And Nuke// SeaGate Tools. (dos). I have SeaGate drive’s. MaxiBlast for Maxtor. Or just plain old fixdisk if you are familiar with dos. As stated above, make sure you meet recomended system requirements.

• Ping

Try Acronis TrueImage Home. It is installed on Win XP and can create a bootable CD and winxp system “image” regularly on portable devices. In emergency with system loss or harddrive failure, you just need to buy a new hard drive, boot computer with the emergency CD created by Acronis and restore the whole system from “images” created before in a few minutes. This is a much better and complete solution than free “Ghost”
    software found in internet.

• Simone

Thanks for the help. I will try it Tina’s and Fidelis’ way first. But if I manage to somehow mess that up, then i will try it ha14’s way. I’ll let you guys know how it goes.

let us know in case you run into trouble and we will try to help you out!

If you want to be in the safe side there is a utility called Paragon System Upgrade Utilities 2010 Suite
    Easily change from Windows® XP/Vista to Windows 7 using Paragon System Upgrade Utilities 2010

• Antony

Tina has given you a good way, you can go ahead.
    But i want to make sure if you don’t want winXP again and like win7 to replace it? If yes, here i recommend you another way, pls read this article:
    Pls do remember to backup the important data before your actions.
    Hope this can help you!

Hello, follow the advice from Tina. Before you install windows 7 make sure you download and run the upgrade advisor for windows 7. This tool will let you know if you computer/laptop can run windows 7. When you run this tool, make sure to plug in any hardware like printer, scanner, etc. This software will also scan any software you have installed in your system and it will let you know if it is compatible with 7 or not. Here is the link:

Also you can use the file and transfer settings installed in your computer to transfer any settings that you want to keep.

This is an illustrated link showing you how to install 7:

is this a desktop computer or a laptop? What partitions do you see on your hard drive, i.e. is there a recovery partition or something to that extend? Did you receive a recovery CD for Windows XP?

Typically, if you bought the computer with the operating system pre-installed, the manufacturer provided you with ways to recover it. My 3 years old HP laptop for example didn’t come with a recovery CD, but it has a recovery partition, which I can use to re-install Windows XP.

However, you may have to create your own recovery CD and the necessary software should be pre-installed on your HP computer. Look for a program called HP PC Recovery CD Creator or HP CD Recovery CD-DVD Creator.

Once you have backed up all your files and made sure that you can recover your system, installing Windows 7 is pretty straight forward. You cannot upgrade from Windows XP to Windows 7, you have to make a full installation, hence it is important that you back up all your personal files!

To install Windows 7, just insert the installation disc, boot from DVD or USB (depending on where you have the files) and follow the on-screen instructions. This Microsoft page has more detailed instructions.

Let us know if you have any questions!

• Simone

It’s a desktop computer. I don’t think it has any partitions on it. I have no idea where anything is that came with the computer. I’m not worried about recovering anything on the computer. I haven’t used the computer in a couple of years and the only thing on it is music. Thanks for the info. I will try it this weekend.