How do I get rid of Internet Explorer 8 popup asking if I’m sure I want to navigate away from this page?

Merryann December 20, 2010

I rarely use Internet Explorer, only when I have no choice. My browser of choice is Firefox. I used it about a week ago, and ever since, I’ve been getting this annoying popup: Error – “Windows Internet Explorer: Are you sure you want to navigate away from this page? Press Escape or close this alert.”

No matter what I do, it keeps coming back, interrupting whatever else I’m doing at the time. I’ve run Spybot S&D, and found nothing. I’ve gone into the running processes and killed IE (it apparently starts itself up again), rebooted, checked the startup programs. I haven’t checked the config.sys or the registry – mainly because I don’t know what to look for there. Any ideas???? It’s really getting annoying!

1. Mekuria4@Yahoo.com

whatever you do dont hit escape.  Its a trojan virus that's attempting to take over your pc and then disable it.

2. Cassandra_IE_Team

Hi Merryann,

No offense taken! Did you follow all the steps in this support resource? http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318378

Cassandra
    IE Outreach Team

3. Merryann

Sorry guys, but it's BACK!!! Looks like I may have to repair it - unless I can get rid of it completely - no offense, Cassandra, but this is why I don't use I.E much.

Merryann,

did you try to completely remove IE and then reinstall it?
      When do you need it anyways?
      There are plugins for Firefox like IE Tab that let you open webpages that won't run in any other browser.

4. Merryann

Tried it - now we'll see if it happens again. Thank you both!~~

Hi Merryann,

Sorry to hear about this problem. I recommend resetting IE settings. This is a great way to repair IE, bringing it back to default settings. If you decide to reset, keep in mind that you'll need to reinstall any add-ons you'd like to use.

Here's how to reset:
    >Open Internet Explorer.
    >Click Tools, and then click Internet Options.
    >Click the Advanced tab.
    >Under Reset Internet Explorer Settings, click Reset.

For more information on repairing / reinstall IE, visit - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318378

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
    Cassandra
    IE Outreach Team

Hi
    go to run the type inetcpl.cpl, so you will have the windows of Internet properties then clean your internet history then go to Advanced and click on Restore advanced settings, then reboot.