How do you get rid of Intense Debate with keeping comments?

Lynx July 16, 2010

I’ve given up on Intense Debate for my Blogger blog, but I don’t want to lose months’ worth of comments either. Their export file is a joke, as I can’t get Blogger OR Disqus to read the file.

Is there some way to export those comments back onto Blogger or another better comment moderation program that can import from ID?

1. debi c

i just lost all my comments since last june because i tried to switch back to blogger comments..ID was giving me trouble form time to time but i didn't expect this!

2. File Search Engine

As someone who used both, Intense Debate and Disqus I decided to go with Disqus. Part of the reason are my two complaints are really minor issues I'm sure they will fix in the future. One being lack of an ability to subscribe to a full rss comment feed, and secondly the problem of easier moderation control. The moderation control is easy for a blog like mine.

3. ed

Well, i've had it with the people running ID.  These monkeys are probably attempting to get people to switch to wordpress so that we can import all comments from ID and blogger into WP.  If we choose to stay with blogger and decide to quit ID, we lose our comments.  Never underestimate capitalist pricks.  I'd rather lose my comments then be victimised by the inbred twits running ID.

4. ????

intensedebate sucks, it disable import function, So, if you uninstall their comments sys you will loose it all. I searched alot but cant find any answers

what is the catch preventing comments from going out of intensedebate? may be they think when clients stuck with their products, it is VICTORY !!!!!!

5. Josh Fox

This question has been here without any response for a rather long time, so I'll give this a shot. The IntenseDebate website shows how to export the comments here: http://support.intensedebate.com/import-export/#exporting

As for importing it back into Blogger, I'm not sure if you can import comments only, but if you go to the "Blogger dashboard > Settings > Basic", the first section is Blog Tools, which allows you to import, export, or delete. The import option says it will import posts and comments, but it might not work with JUST the comments.

There may be other comment systems that it is compatible with, but I've never used any external comment systems with Blogger.

• Lynx

I tried importing ID to Disqus, but Disqus says that they are trying to fix their ID import as they think ID blocked it, or something like that. I just can't take reply-by-email down for months, up for a couple weeks, and down again. And contacting ID has just gotten harder, as I can't seem to find the contact form anymore.

• Josh Fox

It looks like Intense Debate has closed there contact form, but the page has an email address so they can still be contacted.
        http://support.intensedebate.com/contact-closed/

I haven't been able to find anything related to importing Intense Debate comments into anything. It could be a case where they actively try to prevent importing into other comment systems as an attempt to make sure people stay with them.

• dz

Give it another shot if you'd like -- we've been improving our importing stuff recently, so your IntenseDebate export may work now.