How do I get rid of the fake security program Win 7 Antispyware?

Bryan McDonald November 17, 2010

My computer has been infected with Win 7 Antispyware. I have tried Microsoft Security Essentials and it could not detect the virus. I am using Windows 7 on my laptop. Does anyone know of a free program that can remove Win 7 Antispyware?

1. Bryan McDonald

Thank you so much for the help. Neither Microsoft Security Essentials or MalwareBytes was able to find the virus. @Tina, I downloaded Spyware Doctor from the link you gave, while it is free to try, it costs $30 to buy. I ended up not installing it. Before I saw the post by @Ha14 I found a portable app called ClamWin (http://portableapps.com/apps/utilities/clamwin_portable). It found and removed the virus. I will try @Ha14's advice if there is a next time!

Hi

1. Download SmitFraudFix on your desktop. http://www.afterdawn.com/software/security/antispyware/smitfraudfix.cfm
    2.Restar computer in safe mode). Once the Office is displayed, click on the icon SmitfraudFix.exe.
    3.A menu will appear. Select option number 2, i.e. "clean (safe mode recommended)", and then press ENTER to delete infected files.
    4.SmitFraudFix will then proceed with cleaning your computer by following a series of steps. Once the process is complete, it will automatically launch Disk Cleanup, disk cleanup) program.
    5.Once Disk Cleanup completed, a message will ask you: "Registry cleaning - do you want to clean the registry". Reply by Y (Yes) and then press ENTER. Restart your computer.
    6.SmitFraudFix will then check if the file wininet.dll is infected. It will ask you if you want to replace the infected file (if there is one): "replace infected file? Respond by typing Y (Yes) and then press ENTER.
    7.Restart your computer to finish the cleanup process.
    8.Once the system restarted, Notepad will open and display a screen with the list of all files deleted from your computer. If this screen does not appear, a file named report.txt will be created and stored in the root of your drive (drive C local:.)
    9.Restart computer in safe mode.
    10.Go to C:WindowsTemp, click Edit, click Select all, press delete, and then click Yes to confirm that you want to send all items to the Recycle Bin.
    11.GO to C:Documents and Settings [user] Local SettingsApplication, click Edit, click Select all, press delete, and then click Yes to confirm that you want to send all items to the Recycle Bin.
    12.Restart your computer in normal mode again. Go to Windows Update and download all critical updates.

3. Bryan McDonald

Downloading it now. Thanks!

Hope you were able to get rid of it. Let us know how you did it! Thanks.

Bryan,

did you try the removal tool and instructions from Spyware.com?