How can I get rid of an error message when installing Joomla?

RJ August 21, 2011

I get this error message when I try to install the sample data during Joomla installation:

Error: the XML response that was returned from the server cannot be processed.

How do I get rid of this error?

1. RJ

I am installing joomla in windows...so permissions should not be a problem.....???

Before loading the installation/index.php wizard

1. Install your web server, mysql and php components correctly! I won't cover this here... it was pretty easy in ubuntu linux with the apt-get utility

2. Make sure all files are owned by the user that runs the webserver process
    Go to the web server root and chmod all files recursively
    cd /var/www/htdocs
    chown -R user:group joomla
    'user' is the webserver user: www-data on ubuntu, normally apache on other linuxes
    'group' is the primary group for the webserver user: www-data on ubuntu, apache on others

The example assumes your web server root is in /var/www/htdocs and the joomla root directory for your site is in the sub directory joomla

3. Do NOT rename the sample configuration.php-dist file to configuration.php, start without a configuration file in you joomla root

4. Create a database and user in MySQL using the console
    create database joomla;
    grant all on joomla.* to 'joomla'@'localhost' identified by 'secretpassword';
    flush privileges;

Start the installation wizard.

3. RJ

Tried installing with default settings ,
    I am not installing ftp module , it is set to NO as default.
    Tried editing the sampledata.sql file as shown in the video still the problem remains....
    Still getting a heap of errors in both front end and back end...

Did you change that Joomla database table prefix? Install with default settings. Make sure you have taken ownership of the directory which you are installing (i.e: chmod 777   Joomla)