Can I revert a Photoshopped picture back to the original?

Paul Walker August 8, 2012

I look closely at the thumbnail of an unopened picture i have been sent over the Internet and I see one lady’s face. When I open the picture with Windows Photo Gallery there is a different head on the body! I have a program that confirms it has been edited, so is it possible to open the picture up to view it in its original state?

More to the point, can I get rid of the Photoshopped head?

1. Oron

Photoshop keeps an "undo list" during a session, so you can step back in time while you are editing an image. However, it does not save this history on with the document so you can't recover the old image from the file you have.

2. Mohammad Hamzani Salleh

none software i know that enable u to revert back to original state of any edited pics... but i heardu can modified it it u excel in photoshop. but no software i know to revert back.. the thumbnail veiw sometime can fool us, like bruce said, it was lack of the author or in case some author just let it be to "scam" n mak fool to us... we see other and we get other...

Some image file formats such as JPEG allow a thumbnail to be included in the header. This is what you are seeing in the preview. Whoever modified the actual photo data in the file neglected to update the thumbnail which is why you are seeing a different image from what appears in the thumbnail. Some photo editors (Photoshop and possibly GIMP, but I haven't verified that one) can extract the thumbnail, but there is not an effective way to undo the changes to the image based on the thumbnail (too much data is removed when creating the thumbnail to reconstruct the full image).

• paul walker

cheers bruce. just having a bit of fun with these people.