How can I revert a Live USB back to a regular USB?

Annie August 17, 2011

I was reading the article How To Create A Portable Ubuntu Installation USB On The Mac How To Create A Portable Ubuntu Installation USB On The Mac How To Create A Portable Ubuntu Installation USB On The Mac Read More , which worked great. Now I’m wondering how do I get my USB back to just a regular uSB? I am working on a Mac. Thank you!

Hi Annie,

Sorry for the last responce! Please try the command "diskutil mountDisk /dev/diskN" without quotes, then retry the steps I provided above.

• Annie

Figured it out, but thanks for responding!

2. Annie

I tried both just dragging the files into the trash & erasing them through Disk Utility and neither of them work. When I try to put it in the trash I get "Unexpected code (Error -61)". With Disk Utility, the erase tab is there, but all the options are grayed out.

I think the cause of the problem is, when I was originally creating the live usb, one of the steps (linked above) was "diskutil unmountDisk /dev/diskN". Is there a terminal command that might work to undo that?

That's just my guess at the problem, but I'm open to other suggestions.

3. Mulder

The appropriate file system for mac is HFS+, not FAT32.

• Jeffery Fabish

Macs can viably read FAT32, it's a universal file system where as HFS is geared only towards macs and may not be recognized on other systems. As I doubt he is storing his MBR on his flash drive, I think it's safe to assume that only non-critical files will be stored on it, which is a perfect job for FAT32.

Just delete the files off the USB or format it (essentially the same thing). 

Go to applications -> utilities -> Disk Utility and click on your USB Drive.  A dialog will popup, choose the erase tab. Make sure you mount the appropriate file system, such as FAT32.