How can I retrieve my Windows 7 administrator password?
Question by rocky /

I lost my Windows 7 Administrator password. How can I get it back?

• Dsleefson

i lost my password for admin windows 7

• Ouo Micco

Windows 7 allows us to create a Windows password reset disk (USB key) in case that we lost the Win 7 logon password. When we lose the password of Win 7, we can reset a new one with the created disk. The weak point is that you can only create the disk before losing your Windows 7 password. If you do not create that, it could not help.

If you have an available administrator account on your system, you can get your password back easily. Logon Win 7 system with the admin account, and then you can come to the Control Panel and change or delete other accounts’ passwords. Just three steps:

Step 1: Click Start -> Control Panel -> Add or remove user accounts

Step 2: Choose the locked administrator account

Step 3: Click Change the password or Remove the password. And then you can change or remove the lost or forgotten password

If you do not have another available administrator account, you could try some third party software. There is plenty of third party software for password recovery on Windows 7 online. all of them are designed to create a Windows password recovery disk. With the disk you can recover your lost Windows 7 password. I highly recommend Windows Password Recovery Tool 3.0 and use it as an example. What you need to do is just three steps (you need another computer to create the disk):

Step 1: Download Windows Password Recovery Tool 3.0

Step 2: Burn a Windows password recovery disk with the software

Step 3: Recover the Windows 7 password with the disk

I think the most efficient is using third party windows password recovery software. Have a try.

I like like the all-in-one Hirens Boot CD that has two good password utilities: KonBoot and Offline NT Password Changer. The second is text based and little hard to use, but works most of the time on a Win 7 install.

The problem with KonBoot is that it only works on selected Windows versions (mostly the Ultimate and Business versions). If you got a Vista/7 Home premium version it will most likely crash to a blue screen.
      I also don’t like the fact that it “screws” with the Kernel files ~ one coincidence gone bad [power outage or whatever] and you have to search for the correct kernel to restore.

I always suggest ntpasswd for Windows and either single-user boot via bootloader or a Live system for forgotten Linux passwords.

Safe Mode or Single-User Mode is always the best. But, in my experience, regular computer users try to go crazy when I talk them through it.

For Windows, The Offline NT Password Changer is the one I use most of the time. I have had great luck with it. I agree with you on the Single-User mode in Linux, it is the only real option in Linux.

for the next time

Part 1: Create Windows 7 password reset disk before you lose the password

Step 1. Click Start > Control Panel > User Accounts.

Step 2. Insert a USB flash drive into your computer.

Step 3. Click Create a password Reset Disk (on the left window).

Step 4. Click Next when it indicates Forgotten Password Wizard.

Step 5. Type in your current password in when it shows Current User Account Password.

Step 6. Click Next > Next > Finish.

Next time if an error password then there you can see the “password reset” option. At this time, insert the disk you created and follow the prompts to reset your password.

Part 2: Create a windows 7 password reset disk after you forgot the password

Here you may use a program called Windows Login Recovery.

Step 1. Download and install the program Windows Login Recovery.

Step 2. Insert a blank CD/DVD or USB flash drive into your computer.

Step 3. Run the program and create a password reset disk step-by-step.

You can use the disk to reset the password now.

we have had a similar question before. Check out the answer here: