What can I do to retrieve my stolen mobile phone?

jeff January 31, 2011

my cell phone was stolen. I want to find its location. How can this be done for free? Can I locate it with GPS?

1. Walter Johns

My GF just bought a phone and found out about a week after she got it that it was reported lost/stolen she tried to contact the carrier of the phone to let them know that they have the phone and just would like to get into contact with the original owner but the carrier (verizon) would not help.  I mean she payed 50 bux for the phone and she just wants to know if she bought the phone from someone that is just trying to scam her and verizon or someone who is just trying to scam her. Hell she even has the phone number of the person she bought it from and left over texts.  I think if she went to the police with all the info she should be able to get something done but if the police are unwilling to stop this theft of money and phone then they might as well stop people from killing each other. and husbands beating there wives.  Upholding the law is upholding the law regardless why.

2. HARaaM

Put a contact number, or email address in the battery compartment. I have dozens of phones I found in parking lots, and could not return. Att said toss them, and other companies were not helpful either.

3. USA-USA

Try MobileMe.com
    Don't be cheap!

Most recent phones have gps with the default setting of for emergencies only.

Jeff,

we recently had a similar question, check out the answers here:
    How does tracking a phone work and how can I do it?

Unfortunately, it's very difficult to locate your mobile phone if you didn't install a tracking software before you lost it. However, to prevent it in the future, check out the following MakeUseOf articles:
    Top 5 Tools That Will Help You Locate Your Lost Cell Phone
    How To Trace & Deactivate A Stolen Cell Phone
    2 Easy Ways to Recover A Lost or Stolen Android Phone

Good luck!

6. Cindy

I had this happen to me a couple of years ago. When I contacted my carrier they said I would have to have that featured turned on. But I found out that was a lie. All cell phones made after a certain date have gps ability. The police would also be helpful with this.

Yes, it is possible to locate a phone, even without tracking software installed, based on the phone number (if the finder uses it) or with IMEI number or GPS. The police can do it. But unless you live in a very remote area where they are very bored, I don't think the police has time to help people find their lost or stolen cell phones.