How can I retrieve the Administrator password in Windows Vista?

Thaung Htike January 30, 2011

I have a Dell laptop running Windows Vista Business. I lost my “Administrator Password” on it when my organizer software crashed.

Now, when I try to uninstall and reinstall Mozilla Firefox I was prompted to key in the password. I have installed it several times, but was never required to provide the password. But as I realized not having the password now I can’t reinstall the Mozilla Firefox.

Is there any other way to do it without the password or resolve the problem?

1. Meimei

A lot of methods are available to recover or reset the Windows password. The famous Ophcrack is used for recovering the password.The big disadvantage of ophcrack is the large ISO file. We need to download a file of size 500MB to recover the password.And I have tested it ever,it actually can not dispay the password as the instruction says.
    Another popular tool,Offline NT Password : http://home.eunet.no/pnordahl/ntpasswd/                                                      But the problem is you need operate in Dos environment, which is more suitable for PC expert.                             However, there is also a plenty of paid software which can help us reset the Windows password by a bootble DVD/CD or USB driver. As those Windows password recovery software with a small ISO image file, you can save a lost of time and space to download such program.These tools can recover windows password quickly and easily, such as Windows Password Rescuer.By the way,I just want to say that Windows password is not security,people can use these tools to gain access whichever computer installed Windows 7/vista/xp/2008/2003/2000

2. Susan

You can try to reset the password in Vista with command prompt.1. Press F8 to enter Advanced Boot Options just before the Windows loading screen appears.2. Choose Safe Mode with Command Prompt.3. Log in with an administrator account when you can see the log on screen.4. Type net user in the command prompt and then hit Enter. All the Windows account user names will be listed for you.5. Type net user Helen 123 and hit Enter.‘Helen’ is your locked Windows account user name. And ‘123’ is the new password you want to reset for the account.If you cannot enter the safe mode, I’m afraid you have to create a password reset disk with a CD or USB drive as follows. Otherwise, reinstallation will be your only choice.

3. Catherilily

For your Vista admin password, you can Reset Password Windows Vista with created Vista password reset disk, free Ophcrack and Offline NT Password & Registry Editor Vista password recovery tool, professional Vista Password Recovery Software, etc.

There are detailed tutorial on Windows Vista password reset:
    http://windowspasswordrecovery.net/article/how-to-reset-password-on-windows-vista.html

Thaung,

were you able to retrieve your Administrator password in the meantime? How did you do it?

There is always the option of using a linux boot cd......