How can I restore my Windows user account after it crashed?

Gale Moose July 25, 2011

My granddaughter was on my computer last night trying to register for a free computer on Hollister. She said a program started running and shut down the computer. She said she could get on my husbands user account, but could not get back on mine. Everything was blacked out. Have I lost everything on my site?

My grandson said that something came up showing 83 C and I figured it overheated. Have never had this problem before. Our Dell is about 5 yrs old.

Any advice you can give will be greatly appreciated. I didn’t try to sign back on this morning before coming to work. My grandson also said that it stated my account no longer existed.

1. Sonny Bass

I would suggest that since you have found all your files Immediately back them up(to a portable drive if possible). After that right click the folders < go to properties < location < restore previous. 

2. Galem2001

Tina;  My files were still there thank goodness. How can I restore them to icons. Or is this possible without doing one at a time. Thanks for your help.
    Gale Moose

Gale,

what do you mean with 'restoring them to icons'? I don't understand.

I'm sure you can restore your files, maybe even your account, but I'm not sure what is the best way to do it. I will pass this one around for a good reply!

Gale,

I assume you are using Windows. You said your computer is about five years old. So I guess you are using Windows XP? Or Windows Vista already?

You can check whether your account still exists by logging in with another account. The exact path of user accounts depends on your version of Windows, but generally it is located on C: Either open the folder 'Documents and Settings' (XP) or the folder 'Users' (Vista). If you see a folder with your user name on it, then chances are good that your data are still there.

• Galem2001

Thanks Tina. I will try this as soon as I get home. I hope it works. Ours is Windows XP.