How to restore a missing searchbar in Firefox?

mango wodzak September 16, 2012

I’m not sure how it happened, but the searchbar that normally appears at the top right side of my browser is missing. I have a long address bar, which of course can be used to search directly from, but I miss having the separate search box too.

I read somewhere that I should be able to go to Customize (toolbar), and then drag the missing searchbar back into it’s position, only trouble is there is no icon for the searchbar to drag into place, does anyone know of another way I can get it back?

1. VS Vishnu

solved..close this.

• mango

if i could see a button to close the thread, i would.. i am sure it used to be more visible, but I just don't see it anymore..

2. antony27 avjy27

just try to download update version firefox 16 beta.......

3. Sastha

If you're using Windows 7 or Windows Vista, you now have an orange Firefox button that takes the most common functions and puts them in one menu.

To temporarily show the old style menus, just press the Alt key.
    To have them shown all the time, right-click on an empty section of the Tab Strip and check Menu Bar in the pop-up menu.

4. Alexis Akridge

Apparently, if you've deleted the menu bar, tool bar or navigation bar in Mozilla Firefox, It won't help to remove and re-install firefox. When you have deleted the navigation Bar and the Menu Bar, the only way to get it back is to close out firefox and open firefox safe mode.

5. Irshaad Abdool

Toolbars >> Search

Since currently,you're dealing with huge amount of work,the steps mentioned below will be useful in case any option fails.

Check in the option menu that Firefox is set to restore session or tabs that are currently running(Options -->Tabs --> Warn me when closing multiple tabs) and (Options --> General --> When Firefox opens - show windows and tabs or else show a blank page [choose what you prefer]). If you choose blank page,then you can restore previous session by Options --> History --> Restore previous session.

Also,sync Firefox if you like to be sure.

You can also save those 90 tabs by saving the links in a word document or notepad,although cumbersome but gives you assurance.Save the name of the extensions in a notepad or word document by name and their homepage by clicking on more option in each of the extension.

Now,close Firefox and create a backup by using MozBackup tool -

http://mozbackup.jasnapaka.com/

Uninstall Firefox.

Install a fresh Firefox and sync it.

If after this,it still doesn't brings back search button,then uninstall Firefox while deleting user data during the process of uninstallation and then reinstall Firefox.

• mango wodzak

thanks for your help.. i found the problem, it was as tug ricks suggested an extension that caused it (omnibar), i simply uninstalled it and now my search box has reappeared.
      kind regards,
      mango

7. Tug Ricks

Just a thought. Do you have any extensions installed which might hide it? I think Omnibar/Instant Search hide it.

• mango wodzak

YES!! I had omnibar installed, although for the life of me I don't recall ever installing it, but I guess I must have.. so I uninstalled it, and voila, my search box is back again! Thanks for the great suggestion!
      cheers,
      mango.

• Tug Ricks

Happy to be of assistance! I've had the same thing happen to me before, and it was only by accident that I got my search bar back. Have a good one my friend.

8. ahmed Fouad khalil

my be you have problem required re install firefox

• mango wodzak

yes.. I can see that would solve it, but then I would loose all my extensions and tabs etc.. so at the moment I am still searching for a solution that does not involve resetting or reinstalling.. ?

9. Harish Jonnalagadda

Just rest FF to is default state if nothing else is working. Follow this link: http://mzl.la/MnSTZB

• mango wodzak

that's a rather drastic solution really. it looks like i'll loose all my extensions.. my open tabs and tab groups.. I have about 90 tabs open at the moment, plus a good 2 dozen extensions installed, and use tab groups. I'm not sure I want the hassle of all the work restoring things again.. surely there must be another way to get the search box back again? something in about:config, or similar?

• Harish Jonnalagadda

In that case, you could Right-click on the Address Bar, Select Customize, there should be a Customize Toolbar window.
        In this, look for the Search entry, if it is there, just drag that back on to the Address bar.

• mango wodzak

thanks, I think I tried to write that into the question I posted. I tried this already. there is no visible search entry to drag back again. :(

10. K.V.D.Prasad

Hi mango wodzak,
    Dont worry. Just hit "alt+v+t+n". You will get search bar. Or Click on View-->toolbars and check at navigation toolbar.

• mango wodzak

Thanks for your feedback,
      however, I followed your suggestion, and the navigation toolbar was already ticked. If I untick it, the whole navigation bar disappears, if I put it on, it comes back, but the separate searchbar is still not there, all I have is the URl field and some simple navigation buttons, but NO separate search box.. :(