How can I restore my laptop’s sound driver?

melchor ang December 7, 2011

I have a Toshiba Satellite laptop. I had Windows XP Service Pack 2 Home Edition and when I updated to SP3 I removed the HD audio driver on accident. Now the sound is not functioning. Does anyone know where I can find sound drivers, or a way that I can restore my driver?

1. Ravilaxmicomputer

how to my compaq presario v2000 sound driver install

2. Mjevolve

hello . 

you can try as Fidelis suggests , and in addition to that ,
    can you tell if your copy of windows is genuine and did you try running the windows update after installing the SP3 .?

i ask this , coz most of the times windows will automatically download the best available drivers for any unsupported or newly added hardwares .
    even if it cannot find the latest , it will install the very basic generic driver from its inbuilt repository that would get the hardware started .
    and sound hardware is pretty basic for windows to have an in built driver for it .
    the basic sound will work and obviously you wont get HD effects from it .

if you havent done this , i would recommend you to run the update service 2 or 3 times .

and also do this. start > right click on my computer > manage > device manager > right click on your sound device > update driver .

and also try running this free driver update tool - Slim Drivers .
    let it scan and then download the updates available and install them .
    its a good tool and will download the latest best available drivers for your hardwares .

• Richard Carpenter

I have had bad luck with Windows Updates in Win XP for drivers, always seemed to work when I did not need it to. That said, I like to run odd ball hardware so that may be part of it :-)
      Another suggestion is MA-Config.com  Works really well and has always been good to me :-)

Hello, best way for you would be to go to Toshiba website, click on drivers and support option, and then look for your laptop's model and operating system.  The  drivers should be there.  Sometimes there is more than one option for sound drivers.  This is the link for Toshiba drivers:

http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/support/jsp/home.jsp