How can I restore an iPhone backup from Windows 7?
Question by tlw /

I recently discovered that, although I can locate my iPhone’s backup files, they can’t be loaded back on my iPhone from Windows 7. I’ve spent hours online looking for a fix. Does such a fix exist?

• Nikeagrawal

try password 123456

• Dcp636

if you cant see app data in your computer file go to security in control panel then click folders then make hidden folders visable after this you will be able to see app data.

• Jeff

Thanks for sharing the location was able to restore my daughters phone from file off her old computer.

• Hadimunshi

Okay. I’ve an iPhone 4. I have not lost anything but my chat on whatsapp. I dont mind restoring from backup my iphone top the back up i did yesterday. But when I right click on my iphone in itunes. It Shows me the back of today (which was after loosing the chat) and 2-3 months old various back ups. Why doesn’t it show the back which i did a day before loosing my chat? I searched in the location which is given above.. I see few backups in my PC. But non of them are of the day before my loss. It’s only 2-3 months old and 2 of them are after losing the whatsapp chat. Any help?

to get an answer to your question I recommend that you submit question of your own!

• TLW

No Aibek, I didn’t. After spending an entire week, and $70, I finally just gave up. I learned a lot along the way, and I was reminded of why we should create a restore point before messing around with some of the things we find on the web :)

And you know, my issue was resolved a few days back. Jeffry put up that tutorial about DropBox. Because of that tutorial, and the Application itself, I’m good to go. I think :)

• TLW

Oh my Gawd Hi. That’s probably exactly what the problem is. A corrupted file/app. Man. I didn’t even think about that. Silly me. It’s times like these we learn just why we all love the web so much :)

I’ll tackle more of this tomorrow. I’m afraid I’ve had enough for today :)

So TLW, did you manage to restore your files from a backup? Let us know.

HiI heared that some had problems when application were installed from appstore on the phone rather from itune. If installed from itune then the backup is faster like 1min compared to 4min.

Itunes will start backing up iphone as soon you plug in so the older backups will be erased and newer will be available. if you would like to keep old backups then you have to do some effort.

Get into the backup folder. Sort after date, so the newest files are on top. Every file iTunes backups actually consists of two files. The file with the data (.mddata) and an info file for that (.mdinfo), both again with a strange long name. While we cannot look into the actual data (can be an image, a html file, a plist file or whatever), we can have a look into the info file and see at least which App the file belongs to.Start a text editor and open the .mdinfo file. It’s a binary file, so we see a lot of crap, however you also should see a string like this There you go, the app iTunes is currently trying to backup is the Kayak app.Wait some seconds. As you can see in the folder, the .mddata files a relatively small, so iTunes should move on to the next .mddata/.mdinfo file soon. iTunes still tries to backup the same file? Wait some more seconds. Still the same file? Well, we have a hit! The file iTunes tries to backup is corrupt.Do a clean backupUnplug the device.We want iTunes to make a clean backup. Copy the backup folder to somewhere else (can take some time). After this is finished, delete the backup in “Settings” -> “Devices” -> “Device Backups”.Now delete the evil apps from the device.Connect the device. Start iTunes (if it doesn’t start automatically). Start a sync (if it doesn’t automatically). Since iTunes does not find a backup file, it’ll do complete backup, which may take a while.

• Fayerichardson1

Hi not sure if anyone still reads these threads but I used what’s app on my phone but can’t see any data? I have also found my email file but do you know how I can access the emails? Thanks

try to delete the itunes_control folder on your phone since there is nothing to lose there, and then reconnect to iTunes, see if the popup comes up asking if you want to create a new iphone or backup from existing.

C:UsersUSERNAMEAppDataRoamingApple ComputerMobileSyncBackup
    is the default location for the iphone backups on Win 7. If you don’t have that path it is unlikely you have any backups.

In order to restore an iPhone, you need to have a backup of it before hand. Backup occurs every time you:

sync your iPhone with iTunes
    Update your iTunes
    Restore your iPhone ( iTunes will prompt for a backup before restore process begins.)

For Windows users, uninstall Apple Mobile Device Support and iTunes from your system, restart the computer and re-install the latest version of iTunes and try to restore again.

shareware: iBackupBot for iTunes

• TLW

Thank you Ha. I did purchase the software –>’m now trying to figure out how to load the missing files that for some reason iTunes will not put back on my phone. iBackup is giving me a message that it can only locate partial back ups. That’s bad. Very bad. My next course of action is reincubate. It’s either that, or I start banging my head against a wall. That burns 100 calories per hour. So, all is not lost :)