How can I restore my files back to normal?

kim November 20, 2011

I installed a game, then hit enter without reading everything. Now when I ope an application the Windows Media Center opens and all my icons on my desktop and taskbar turned to Internet Explorer icons. How do I fix this?

i did the samething but i was trying to fix my itunes, know every icon takes me to itunes

2. Oscadavjackson

i'm having the same problem. i tried using ha14's method but it just opened the registry edit with google chrome, like it does with all my other files

3. Sravs

How can i restore all my system files to normal?
    Im using windows7 starter.While downloading pics from google chrome, by mistake i typed some shortcut and a box (i think hotmail that shows one pic of a man at the left side)appeared.I did not read anything written in that box and closed it immediately as soon as it appeared on screen.After i closed my internet browser i was shocked to see some of my folders showing vlc media player icon.When i opened it it was in .lnk format and appeared as (ex. openoffice.org.3.0.lnk) in vlc media player.Besides this i found a new folder,i dont know how it appeared on my desktop.The folder name is"CONTACTS" and when i opened it i found that it contains contents like new contact,import,export,share with,etc, at the top and favorites,my computer etc, on the left.I observed that on the folder icon of contacts there is a page which resembled like that i saw when i was browsing.Also all files in my start also changed.
    Can you help me to get out of this problem?

Did you try using System restore, and restoring to a old restore point when you did not have this problem. ?

if you use fix tool. all your file associations will be set to default.
    restore your pc to an old restore point using system restore to keep your setting as it was.

5. Jeff

Hi Kim,

As ha14 stated, your file associations need to be repaired. If you have system restore enabled, you can go back in time to your previous restore point which will fix this problem. You can also download the filetype default associations.

- Jeff

you have file association corruption, which windows you have?

1. Open the Registry Editor (click Windows + R, type regedit, hit enter).
    2. Navigate to this registry branch: HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionExplorerFileExts.lnk
    3. Find the subkey called User Choice and delete it.
    4. Close Registry Editor.
    5. Reboot.

or download this
    http://www.winhelponline.com/fileasso/lnkfix_vista.zip.

more can be found here
    http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/file-asso-fixes-for-windows-7/