How do I reset a Windows 7 PC to factory settings?

July 9, 2014

I got a computer from my company it is power by ASUS and I can’t get in it cause I don’t know the password for Windows. I just want to know how to set windows 7 professional back to factory settings from the restart of the computer like in boot please help me

1. dragonmouth

I would suggest using ophcrack to recover any passwords. Go to the following URL. It has step by step instructions on how to use Ophcrack to recover the password(s).
    http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolsofthetrade/ss/ophcracksbs.htm

There's no "reset to factory settings" option in Windows 7. In fact, if the machine was set up on a domain, there may well never have been a "factory settings" stage, as the PC may have been set up at the company with its own settings and policies (see more below).

You can reinstall Windows as mentioned by others, or you can change a particular setting. If all you're missing is a login password, get a password-reset disc such as Hiren's and boot from if to reset a *local* password. I note that you have tried this and had trouble. If you can get into the BIOS, you should be able to change the boot order so the PC would start up from CD (this is not contingent on Windows' settings at all).

If the BIOS is locked, then it will need to be hacked, which may be easy, difficult or impossible. Get back to us with full details of the machine (exact make & model) and we'll try to help.

Note that password-resetting utilities such as Hiren's only allows you to change LOCAL passwords. These are passwords for accounts such as "Administrator" (the username may have been changed, to make things more difficult, but there will still be at least one local username on the PC). You can't change domain passwords because, well, they're kept the domain, not on the actual PC.

Finally, if it's a machine that was set up securely on the domain then you may eventually be able to log in, but you will still be restricted by whatever policies the IT people placed on the computer. For example, you may not be able to install software, connect printers or even USB drives (these are just examples, almost any aspect of Windows can be governed by policies). If that is the case, and it's a problem for you, you would really be better off reinstalling Windows from scratch.

Alan is right. If it is BIOS password then disconnect from wall, remove cmos battery for 1_2h, replug everything and try to boot.

• Brian hinson

Plus I'm tried to download herons boot disk and put it in the CDROM then trun on computer and set the CDROM to be first to boot but that doesn't work either I had a friend tell me it will not work by disk cause it's set on a domain

• Bruce E

Doesn't work in what way? Won't boot from the CD and simply boots from the hard drive regardless of a bootable disk in the drive? Displays an error message? Stops the entire boot process?

There are 2 types of BIOS passwords. If it will boot to Windows without asking you for a password before Windows starts, there is no user password set in the BIOS. If it allows you into the BIOS settings without asking for a password, there is no supervisor password set in the BIOS.

It doesn't matter if the device was previously part of a domain. It should still boot and allow one to log in with a local account or to boot from any other bootable media (CD/DVD/USB) including recovery CD/DVDs such as Hiron's and from there use the Offline NT Password & Registry Editor to clear any passwords on user accounts (including the administrator, if necessary).

maybe konboot can help in this case. you should be able to boot on cd, if not try USB key
      http://www.piotrbania.com/all/kon-boot/

4. Alan W

Well asuming your BIOS isnt locked with a password then the easiest way would be to re-install Windows again if you got a disc with the computer and if you know the Windows key.

The best thing you can do is let us know all the details about discs and keys etc so we know what we are dealing with.

• Brian hinson

I have no disk it was gave to me from my company but who ever used it was fired and my boss nor I know the password to log on to windows I just want to know how to change it to factory settings from boot and how would I know if my bios is locked or needs password sorry not to smart with computers