Do I Have to Reset My Router 2-3 Times Per Week?

Matt February 4, 2010

Just picked up a Dlink-615-SW. Previously had a Dlink-624 for years. I rarely had to reset the 624 (maybe 3 times per year if that). Within one week I’ve had to reset it 3 times. Should I take it back and get a different brand? Or was I just lucky with the first one?

1. Skull

That sounds like my issue for about two years. Answer, it gets too hot (Internally) and drops the connection, necessitating a reboot. I went and bought a different brand. ALL my stuff was Dlink ............... but I have learned my lessons. My current Modem/Router is a Linksys and I have had ZERO dropouts in the extreme heat we have been having. SLIGHTLY less reception in my shed out the back but basically 100% over the Dlink.

2. ├Žnon1mus

Sounds like your router is freezing. Do you use BitTorrent? If you do, reduce the number of connections (total) to below 200. See if that helps.

Matt, you shouldn't have to reset your router that often.

What do you use your router for?
    And what makes you reset your router? Does it slow down?

Maybe there is an issue you need to fix such as router settings.
    To help with that we need more information.

• Matt

I don't BitTorrent. I mainly just check email, google reader and an occasional youtube. My wife takes online classes. It seems to be the wireless part that we are having trouble with. My ipod touch won't connect or a laptop loses connection. If there are particular settings I should check let me know. Thanks for the help.